Impalas.net banner

Was my 1965 Sport Coupe a Big Block

4K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  100%chevy 
#1 ·
I have a 65 Impala sport coupe that currently has a 283 in it. I know this was not the original engine and think it may have been a big block but wanted some expert feedback. Here's what I know:

VIN tells me it was a V8
Was originally a 4-speed
Has the original 4 point 12-bolt rear end
Fuel lines and radiator have been replaced in the past
VIN date code is March 20th 1965 from the Atlanta plant

Did Chevy produce any Impalas in 65 with 4-speed and 12 bolt rear ends that were not big blocks? Also, from the date code I assume if this was a big block it was a 409 since they didn't start rolling the 396 until after March 27th?

#4 ·
Yes, they made 327/300 4 speed with 12 bolt. The cutoff date was Feb 17th so yours would have been a 396 not a 409.

You won't be able to tell unless you have the Protect-o-Plate from the glove box.
Well since it was too late for the 409 and too early for the 396 that leaves you with a 300 horse or more powered 327 as your car's original engine. This is because 300 horsepower motors and above whether small block or big block got the 12 bolkt with two control arms. 275 horse motors and less got a 10 bolt and one control arm.

Big Dave

#10 ·
I have a 65 BelAir 4 door sedan with a 283/powerglide and 12 bolt!
Car does have a/c.
And,my 65 Caprice-327/powerglide has a 12 bolt.In fact,it's a 355 posi.I don't have the original engine,but it could have been a 300 horse version.
Cash money could get you a lot back then.You weren't forced to buy the "Option Packages" like they sell today.
Mike.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.