454 oil pan fit - Impala Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

454 oil pan fit

ready to install my 454 in my 62 bel air wagon, I used a 4 qt. Summit racing basic pan. When I went to install,, the pan seated on the bottom of the block fine but When I went to twist/ move the pan to align the bolt holes, there was not enough movement to do so (something on the inside was hitting) I ordered another 4 qt. pan and it was the same as the first. the old chevy truck pan fit on perfect. I am thinking of ordering a 5 qt. ? any suggestions? I thought all those pans would fit any Mark lV big block.

Thanks,

doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 05:25 PM

All Mark IV oil pans interchange. The question I ask is do you have a Mark IV or a Gen V (Ford sued GM saying the Mark IV and Mark V were registered trade marks for their Continental; and Ford didn't want any one to confuse one big chunk of metal for another big chunk of metal) or a Gen VI motor? Most donor pick-up truck motors found in bone yards today are the newer Gen V motors. There were not a lot of Gen VI motors in pick-ups as the factory jumped over to the OMC produced Gen VII Vortec 8.1 liter truck motor.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

oil pan

the engine is a 78 ,,freshly rebuilt by my local engine builder. Once I set the pan in place it needs to move to the front about .100 to install the bolts. The forward and backward movement of the pan is stopped by the back of the rear bearing cap and the front of the front cap. When I look at the original truck pan the rear of the pan width(the curved part that seats against the pan gasket) it is .100 shorter than the cheap pan I bought. (hope that makes sense.) I am almost tempted to whip out my die grinder and simply elongate the holes.

in short I need .100 more movement front to back,, both pans look identical,,,even the stamping marks, maybe I need to spend more for a quality pan.

Also since this pan is a little shallower I noticed that lowest part of the connecting rods will come within 1/8 or so of the bottom of the pan when rotating,,,does that bother anyone,,,

Thanks,

doug

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godtar View Post
Also since this pan is a little shallower I noticed that lowest part of the connecting rods will come within 1/8 or so of the bottom of the pan when rotating,,,does that bother anyone,,,

Thanks,

doug
So long as the crank isn't getting into the oil it is alright (you only need about 0.060" clearance around the rotating parts).

I have never used that pan (I'm more of a Moroso customer even though Milodon makes a better pan in my opinion. I just can't stand the cad plated finish as I like Chevy Orange). The only issues I have had with a Moroso pan was when I had a stroker crank that just wouldn't clear the pan (Moroso sells stroker pans that clear stroker cranks but I didn't think about it before I ordered the pan). The other issue was in trying to use a Gen V oil pan on a Mark IV block. That will not work either as the front and rear seal have an entirely different radius.

I can not think of how they could mess it up when welding the pan together as the pan rails are generally a Chevy part that gets reworked by welding on a different sump. Apparently the Chinese (or Indians) that made that pan didn't have access to BBC oil pans to modify and used a cheap knock off to modify.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page