One piece driveshaft - Impala Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

One piece driveshaft

What needs done to accommodate a one piece driveshaft on my 63 impala wagon? I know those old time racers pulling the front wheels off the ground weren't doing it with two piece shafts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
What needs done to accommodate a one piece driveshaft on my 63 impala wagon? I know those old time racers pulling the front wheels off the ground weren't doing it with two piece shafts!
Actually they were. Some got enough air time to where you can actually see under the car to see the two drive shafts separated by the carrier bearing.

To run a one piece you have to carve a big opening in the torque box (the center X in the frame), and then go back and reinforce that area by adding back even more metal than what you cut away to strengthen the frame again.

The factory used two or three piece drive shafts in medium and heavy duty trucks without an issue (and they will pull a wheelie in a heart beat if you tie the trailer to the ground). The only problem I have ever had with a two piece is cheap Indian or Pakistani replacement carrier bearings (went through three in two months with my 1961 C5300 powered by a 406 in front of a five speed Muncie with a PTO). If I had the race car on the back of the truck or towing a lot of steel back from the salvage yard it would twist the carrier right off the frame.

Once I got a genuine Timken made in the US of A bearing from my Chevrolet Service Department It ran fine till I sold the truck along with that race car and the spare motors, trannies and rear end parts all in the back of the bed.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 07:25 AM

Not a wagon but I changed to a one piece ds years ago in my 64 SS. Went to a bigger diameter. No fitment issues.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 09:15 AM

Just put 1 in my 63 2door this winter, grabbed 1 out of a 86 caprice .Took it in and cut 1" off and weld/rebalance $175. with new rear conversion u-joint.
Allso put in a 700r4 had to cut tunnel and weld in a piece of pipe (pie shape) to have good clearance when rearend travels up down and ease of tire removal . Best thing I did trans. and driveline that stock driceshaft was just a plain stupid idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page