63 Impala wagon, turbo 400 to Muncie 4 speed swap - Impala Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

63 Impala wagon, turbo 400 to Muncie 4 speed swap

Title pretty much says it all. What am I gonna need as far as flywheel, clutch/pressure plate and which time, pg or 400 will I need for the muncie? Driveshaft length? Will a 10 1/2" clutch work? Is the 454 flywheel different than the rest? Your thoughts and advise are appreciated. Thank you! Can't wait!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 10:45 PM

63 Impala wagon, turbo 400 to Muncie 4 speed swap

Can't help but very interested. Can't wait to see this transformation. Good luck with it.

Got pics of the wagon? I love me some wagons.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Title pretty much says it all. What am I gonna need as far as flywheel, clutch/pressure plate and which time, pg or 400 will I need for the muncie? Driveshaft length? Will a 10 1/2" clutch work? Is the 454 flywheel different than the rest? Your thoughts and advise are appreciated. Thank you! Can't wait!
You need a new 168 tooth 454 externally balanced SFI rated fly wheel to work. It has to be a 168 tooth starter ring to match your starter, and a 454 and a 502 both share the same externally balanced crankshaft (weight is added in the harmonic balancer and the fly wheel to balance the engine).

You need to match the eleven inch in diameter clutch disc with the inpuit spline count on the Muncie transmission. Older trannies had ten course splines while newer Muncie trannies had 22 fine spline input shafts. New SFI rated Pressure plate has to match the application.

The transmission cross member for a TH400 is located too far back to fit a Muncie transmission. You will need to modify yours or to buy replacement frame mounts (one for each side) for a Muncie/TH350 transmission. Front yoke is different also, as the TH400 used a larger 32 spline out put shaft, and the Muncie uses the same smaller 27 spline out put shaft front yoke as a TH350, and the PG. Because the TH400 is larger, hevier, stronger and longer than the Muncie transmission you will also need to buy a new drive shaft to fit as they do not stretch.

Finally you are going to need a third pedal and the clutch linkage (Z-bar, rods and springs) linkage to go between the pedal assembly and your new SFI rated explosion resistant safety bell housing.

Big Dave

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 01:04 AM

As far as the front yoke on the driveshaft, it depends which Muncie you buy, or do you already have it?

The later year Muncies (I believe 71 and up) as well as the M22's have the same yoke as the TH400. The earlier ones have the same yoke as a Powerglide or Turbo 350.

And the crossmember loacation for you the Muncie is the same as what your car originally used, whether it was a 2 speed auto or a 3 speed or 4 speed manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page