Stuck mid swap 700r4 for my Powerglide - Page 2 - Impala Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcairns View Post
Oh, one other thought on your spacers on the transmission mount. It is possible that may have set the drive line angle off a bit too much. Try to notice if you get any strange vibrations, as that may be due to the slight imbalace of angles you created with the spacers. Hopefully it is small enough not to matter.
Guarantee that the pinion angle is now wrong (changed from the factory setting) and it will need to be corrected or the car will suffer from drive shaft harmonic vibrations from the fact that the two angles are not canceling out the standing waves the angle a shaft makes produces in the drive shaft.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A5150 View Post
Erny,

Nice motor.

Do you have any problems with your alternator belt sqeeling when you mash the throttle?
I had that set-up on my small block with headers and the brackets would let the belt vibrate and sqeel. (hows come I cant spell that word ) lol

Brad
Thanks Brad,
I had to weld an additional 1 1/2" to that bracket to give me enough belt tension and to keep my alternator from rubbing on my slightly taller valve covers.

Nor-Cal Sticks: 1964 4dr Sport Sedan - V8 350ci 700R4
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Guarantee that the pinion angle is now wrong (changed from the factory setting) and it will need to be corrected or the car will suffer from drive shaft harmonic vibrations from the fact that the two angles are not canceling out the standing waves the angle a shaft makes produces in the drive shaft.

Big Dave
Without these spacers I couldn't get my HEI distributor in and I could when I had the Powerglide. How can I figure out the correct angle if its a different transmission, transmission mount, and aftermarket cross member?

Nor-Cal Sticks: 1964 4dr Sport Sedan - V8 350ci 700R4

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64 Sport Sedan View Post
Without these spacers I couldn't get my HEI distributor in and I could when I had the Powerglide. How can I figure out the correct angle if its a different transmission, transmission mount, and aftermarket cross member?
Aftermarket sells a small cap HEI distributors with an external coil that fits in place of the old points distributor (it is the same size).

If you would rather change the pinion angle you get an angle finder ($20 self leveling magnetic base protractor) and measure the angle formed by the output yoke. Go back to the pinion yoke and measure that angle. cut off all of the brackets and mounts on the rear axel and then reweld them back on so that the two angles are the same just oposite (one points down X degrees and the other points up X degrees) there must be an angle as they can not both be zero degrees (perfectly level) or the bearings in the universal joints will burn out for lack of rotation that moves the grease around in the cups.

Big Dave
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64 Sport Sedan View Post
How can I figure out the correct angle if its a different transmission, transmission mount, and aftermarket cross member?

Read the articles here:

http://www.iedls.com/guide.html

Some good stuff there.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
700r4, driveshaft, powerglide, swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page