Column to Floor Shift Conversion - Impala Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Column to Floor Shift Conversion

Would like to convert current column shift to floor with console. Any special quirks to doing this? Also is there specific wiring connections that will need to be accomplished?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 08:33 AM

Manual or automatic? What year?

Most likely you will need to modify your transmission tunnel and then you will need to reroute your backup lights, but a lot of model specifics are also needed as some cars mount gauges in the console and a console light. A 63 console is very low and will not fit many aftermarket automatic shifters. The original power glide shifter actually bolted to the tail shaft of the transmission.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

automatic transmission TH350

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 07:28 AM

This post is the result of a mistake by me.
Don't always trust what pops up in an internet search lesson.

In 1966 you had two options with a center console. One was bare bones floor shifter with a little storage compartment while the other had a clock in it.

https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/C567WD...SABEgIiKPD_BwE

All the parts are available aftermarket for you conversion, but you will also need a new column. The Neutral safety backup light switch is the only major electrical wiring change you will need and I believe you can buy a plug and play harness for this as well. When I had a 66 about 20 years ago they were not remanufacturing the Neutral safety backup light switch and when mine went bad I had a heck of a time going through boneyards trying to find a good working one.

Last edited by Deadwolf; 01-15-2018 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Bad Info
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Deadwolf, I take it the Chevelle console is the same (per link)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 07:14 AM

Sorry, my bad. A case where I let an internet search over ride my memory without really looking at the results of the internet search.

No the Chevelle console does not work. My old 66 impala had a console with no gauges, but an option did exist that had four gauges in the center console similar to the 1st gen Camaro. I didn't have any luck finding reproduction parts 20 years ago and even then I was having trouble finding good original used equipment.

Ebay is probably going to be your best bet and I see some parts listed, but they are fairly pricey especially if you want gauges.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadwolf View Post
... My old 66 impala had a console with no gauges, but an option did exist that had four gauges in the center console similar to the 1st gen Camaro. I didn't have any luck finding reproduction parts 20 years ago and even then I was having trouble finding good original used equipment.

Ebay is probably going to be your best bet and I see some parts listed, but they are fairly pricey especially if you want gauges.
The guage pack differed from the Camaro in that it filled in the gap from the top of the console to the bottom of the dash.

1967-'68 Camaro gauge pack:

Impala Console Gauge Option:

Unless you use the stock shifter (the TH350 was introduced in 1969 and was offered as a console floor mounted option in 1969-'70) it probably will not fit your car.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page