Saginaw to snap ring? - Impala Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Saginaw to snap ring?

Removed the driveshaft to replace the ujoints and discovered they were the super annoying saginaw type with the plastic inserts. Melted them out and removed the ujoints. Can I simply continue to melt the remainder of the plastic inserts out of the yoke and driveshaft and install snap ring style ujoints?

1968 Impala SS
496 Stroker
T56 Conversion
3.73 Posi-Trac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 12:08 AM

Only if there is a internal or external snap ring machined into the yoke. There are replacement permanently lubed universal joints so I assume they probably have a internal snap ring to hold them in place.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68WASAGOODYEAR View Post
Removed the driveshaft to replace the ujoints and discovered they were the super annoying saginaw type with the plastic inserts. Melted them out and removed the ujoints. Can I simply continue to melt the remainder of the plastic inserts out of the yoke and driveshaft and install snap ring style ujoints?
The groove the fiberglass is injected into is about midpoint on the bore the cup sits in.That groove cant be used or you would have a very short cup with accelerated wear.What Dave said about the inside clips is correct.The inside edges of the ears where the clips will sit is nice and flat for that pupose.Buick,Olds & Pontiac always used a bigger "U" joint than the Chevrolet from early 60's on up till things got corporatized.You didn't state what vehicle you were working on,if it is an early Impala (65-70),then someone has put a different shaft in the car.If the parts guy gives you a #369 "U" joint it will be too small for the shaft you're describing.If you have the style shaft I'm picturing you will need a #534 or #534G (G= greaseable).If you need additional help just ask.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68WASAGOODYEAR View Post
Sorry people,didn't realize how old this thread was before I posted.Was to excited about my minimum post #'s so I can do ads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page