60 rear vs 64 rear - Impala Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

60 rear vs 64 rear

I have a 60 Impala with the stock rear. I have the chance to pick up a 64 rear. Are they the same? Will it bolt right in?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 10:06 AM

Yes, if you swap axles as well. The 1958-'62 Chevy's used 17 spline axles (very weak); in 1963 and '64 they increased in size to 28 splines (compared to the huge 31 spline axles used on all other GM cars in this time frame).

Getting harder to find due to their popularity, but if you can find one this is the best rear end for your car. They used leaf springs while Cjevy used coil springs so some bracketry swaps are required but this is still worth a read:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1303...bile-rearends/

Big Dave
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

That is good info, my stock rear is doing fine but it scares me.

I can get the 64 rear for free, I also have a 10 bolt that is the correct width. I was thinking about getting the 64 and using it to mock up the brackets and once I have it ready just swap them out. I'm running a 5.3 truck engine and a 4l60E trans. I ride the car alot as I have completed 2 power tour long hauls with it and I know its just a matter of time before the stock rear gives up. I have been treating it gently.

I'm already running a homemade track bar to center the rear and it was not where near center with the stock track bar and I am running 8" wide wheels.

So I'm assuming all of the brackets on the 64 is the same as the 60?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 12:17 PM

So far as I know, yes.

You are right to worry. The rear you have now was designed in 1949 to stand up to the power of a 92 horsepower six cylinder.

Big Dave
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 09:37 AM

I've never had any issues with Axles in '58 to '64 Chevys. I've swapped around a whole bunch of Center Section Rears '55 to '64. Always used the same Axles that were already in there.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djss View Post
I have a 60 Impala with the stock rear. I have the chance to pick up a 64 rear. Are they the same? Will it bolt right in?
When you state "Rear" are you referring to just the Center Section (Hogshead) or the whole Rear, Drum to Drum?

Member:

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

I am talking drum to drum, not the center section.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:46 AM

The factory used a 17 spline axle from 1958 through 1962 in the full size cars:

You are being redirected...

Prior to that they used a different length 17 spline axle in 1934-'57. The spline count is a way of identifying the diameter of the axle shaft. The more splines (such as the 31 splines used in a Pontiac-Olds rear end from 1957-'64, or a Ford "N" case nine inch) is weaker than the 33, 35, or 40 spline axles used in heavy duty 6,500 gross axle weight rating of Dana 60's. But a 28 spline axle is much stronger than a 17 spline axle that was designed for the small displacement low compression stove bolt six that only has 60 to 90 horsepower. A modern V8 will snap it like a twig; even recognizing that the tire is usually the weakest link. Few today run a four inch wide tread common on a bias ply 6.10 x 14" tire with hard as stone rubber that came standard on the car back in 1961.

This chart shows how strength increases as the spline count goes up.

If you start out with something out from behind a 6.5+ liter diesel engine then odds are your Otto cycle engine won't have enough torque to break it, even if blown.

That said, I used to break a rear end every week in my 409 powered 1951 150 2dr sdn. I had three "P" case 28 spline axle pumpkins (or hog's head if you prefer) that had 4.11 rear gears. I would predict that 70% of the time I broke the side gears where the axles entered the case, or the spider gears inside the case. The other 30% I actually broke a rear axle (which I hated because I used expensive aftermarket Mark Williams axles or Strange axles, which meant that I was not going to be driving for a while in the age before UPS).

If you can use any rear end in your car now that implies that some one prior to you swapped out your 17 spline rear end for the stronger 28 spline found in 1963-'64 full size Chevy's. The 17 spline axles were smaller in diameter and wouldn't engage in a 28 spline differential, or if you had a 17 spline differential you couldn't push the axles in far enough to engage the side gears. They do not interchange.

Big Dave
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djss View Post
I would have to check the book to be sure, but I believe the Drum to Drum Rear will be a direct swap from a '64 to a '60. Although, I am a little puzzled to why you would feel why "its just a matter of time before the stock rear gives up". The Housings don't really wear out. The Center Section is what really wears. Although Bearing and Seal age and wear on the Axles can be a factor. Although again, unless you know for sure, you could have a '64 Rear that would have more wear on the Bearings and Seals than the '60 does.

Bill

Member:

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:28 PM

Dave,

I don't have the time to read and study every word of your reply at this present time, but if you are referring to Full Size Chevrolet only and '55 to '64 only, I have swapped many Center Sections during the last 48 years as mentioned, it has been common knowledge amongst the Chevy crowd all through those years and, just to eliminate any doubt, I just broke out my Hollander Interchange, 38th Edition (a book that I know you respect) and it states:

Interchange #661, Carrier Assembly '55-'64 Passenger and Delivery.

No foot note of needing the change of Axles anywhere.

To further prove my point, I just looked up Axles and it states:

Interchange #651, Axle Shaft, '59-'64 Passenger and Delivery.

Member:

Last edited by 62BillT; 10-02-2018 at 12:44 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:43 PM

djss,

While I had the book out, I just checked on the Complete Rear and I had to go by "Rear Axle Housing" (Empty).

It states:

Interchange #453, '59-'64 Passenger and Delivery.

Member:

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:45 AM

You are talking out your exhaust pipe as you do not live in Portland Oregon but in Vyksa, Russia, I consider you to be a Spammer and and watching to see what you try and do next.

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 11-28-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page