1967 Impala 4 speed conversion - Impala Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 62BillT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

1967 Impala 4 speed conversion

Good morning. New member here. Hopefully you can help shed some light on my impending 4 speed conversion project this winter. Lifelong Mopar guy so a newbie in the GM world. Always loved 67 Impalas and am a big wagon fan. So, when a 67 Wagon crossed my path, I jumped on it. Current setup is 1967 Impala wagon with 68 307, TH400, 12 bolt posi 3:31. Previous owner had a 4 speed in the car many years ago so I received correct steering column, pedal assembly, z bar and linkages, plus a few other odds and ends that are supposedly from the previous installation. I have a fresh 1972 M20 with a 26 spline input and 32 spline output shaft that I plan to use. I have not, however purchased a shifter and installation hardware kit. Seems to be nothing out there. Somebody told me a Competition Plus Hurst unit for a 67 Chevelle would be a close enough match but I called Hurst and they said no due to 2Ē offset in the shifter mechanism? Looks like you folks have been through stuff like this so, is there a shifter and install kit I could use on this transmission for my conversion or is there an acceptable alternative? I just donít want it to look goofy because it is too short, or to be banging my knuckles off the dash. Bench seat with no console or anything I should mention. Also, with this year Muncie will I be looking at altering the driveshaft length? Yoke change? Hope I can get some good advice so I can avoid any (or most) dumb and or expensive mistakes. Hope to be rowing through the gears this spring. Thank you in advance for any insights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 08:53 AM

I don't believe picking out a Shifter would be a problem, but contact Hurst Shifters Online for some additional help. They seem to know more about Hurst than Hurst:

https://www.hurstshiftersonline.com/...categories.asp

The TH400 does have a different Yoke and you may need a different length Driveshaft. I'm not that familiar enough with Automatics.

Also, when buying a Hurst Shifter be sure to also tell them what kind of Side Cover you have. Some have Studs, others have Bolts for the Shifter Levers.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

I saw a 1967 specific shifter on eBay. Refurbished by Hurst ($695!! Yikes). I inquired about fitment and here is the reply I received.

This kit is specific for the factory type 451, 27 spline Muncie with stud mounted levers-
You would need different shift fork levers for the bolt thru mounting of the 1972 (which we do have) and have to DRILL the Shifter MOUNT to
fit the wider 3 bolt mounting of the mount to the 32 spline tail shaft- this kit is designed for Bucket Seat WITH OR WITHOUT console-
no info from HURST at ALL as to BENCH SEAT fitment, no- so can not verify fitment for a bench seat- kit originally manufactured for and only sold to fit
a factory equipped 4 Speed 1965-1967 Impala with factory proper 4 speed

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:50 AM
Team Member

Try these guys.

https://www.4speedconversions.com

1968 Impala SS
496 Stroker
T56 Conversion
3.73 Posi-Trac
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68WASAGOODYEAR View Post
I had actually emailed them yesterday. Have not heard anything back yet.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:15 PM
BA.

I used this one. 373 3163
It works absolutely fine and clears my bench seat but I do wish it was maybe an inch or so taller and an inch further back.
Short guy problems.
I picked up a rebuild kit from either Hurst directly or summit or jegs to get new bushings and such.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:56 PM

You can always change the Shifter Handle. There are many out there to choose from. Also you can bend it a little if necessary. In my '56 Nomad it was hitting the seat a little too much and we carefully heated it and bent it back some. It distorted the Chrome a little, but the boot covered it. It also didn't hurt the metal none. I had about 500 Power Shifts on that Handle, lol.

Member:

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 12:00 AM

Which reminds me. In my '62 Impala, the Hurst Shifter I had in it was made for a Bench Seat car. That Shifter fit perfect.

Member:

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips guys. Looking at the one shifter you recommended now.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 09:48 PM
BA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Luhowiak View Post
Thanks for the tips guys. Looking at the one shifter you recommended now.
My car and the handle above.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
My car and the handle above.

Thank you for the pic. The numbers you have circled in your previous post correspond to the installation kit, not shifter. The other number on that paper is 3917308. Is that the shifter you used? It corresponds to a Competetion Plus shifter that looks to have quite a few applications (other than specifically for 67 Impala of course). It looks to be a little taller than what you show in pic? Maybe the boot is throwing off my perception of the handle. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/huu-3917308
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 11:39 AM
BA.

You got it right, that is the same 'Competition +" shifter I used. The boot and crappy picture just throwing off perspective.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
You got it right, that is the same 'Competition +" shifter I used. The boot and crappy picture just throwing off perspective.
Ok. Good. Well at least I know for sure that one will work. However, like you, I am not a tall guy with long arms (5í9Ē) and I agree that an inch or two longer would be the ticket. Canít seem to find any specs on dimensions for Hurst shifters. Even on their website. Maybe itís proprietary information they donít like sharing. Was hoping for some spec drawings that show all the dimensions. Also, was poking around this transmission case and discovered itís a 74 M20 not a 72 but i donít believe that makes any difference.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 05:15 PM

It's not proprietary it is obsolete. You need to go into a cave, or old tomb, to read what is chiseled on the walls. Or you could buy an old Hurst catalog from back when George Hurst was still making shifters (1965-'73). He sold his company to Mr. Gasket-W.J.Grace (Colt hand guns, Lykes cold cuts, Lykes Bros. shipping company; as in really big stem ships, and of course Holley).

Here is a page that shows the various handles he made, part number and dimensions.

Mr. Gasket was trying to break into the shifter market with knock offs of all of Georges shifter models but it lacked any cred; so they bought george out and put Hurst out of business. Completly burrying his product and refering every one who asked for info parts or sales to buy one of their inferior shifters.
Big Dave
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 05:19 PM
BA.

I knew I had seen that diagram in the past but didn't want to reply without looking for it first.
No time to look for it while at work. Thanks for posting Dave.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

I am thinking that the 5386900 stick might work
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 09:03 AM

As mentioned above, check with Hurst Shifters Online.

It's where I go now to buy anything Hurst related.

Here is a page of 46 Handles presently available:

https://www.hurstshiftersonline.com/...=&order=3&VA=1
BA. likes this.

Member:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page