Z bar installation issues - Impala Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Z bar installation issues

Working on a 59 Impala with a GenIV 454 BBC installed along with a Muncie 4 speed. This car was originally an auto car so I'm making the conversion to 4 speed. I have the original 59 348 bell housing installed and have bought the bracket you weld to the frame where the outer end of z bar mounts. I have factory BBC exhaust manifolds installed. So with these gen 4's the ball stud mount is too far back on block to make the z bar install work. So after some research I found some brackets sold by Jegs which mount to bell housing in a L shape and have a hole in bracket on engine side for ball stud. I bought both long and short sizes since I wasn't sure which one I need. The issue is the long one hits the exhaust and short one won't bring ball stud far enough forward to work. Anyone else dealt with this issue? It's almost looking like I am just going to have to fab something. Surely someone has come across this problem. I appreciate any advice you guys can give I am stumped! 😂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:25 AM

The bracket you describe is for a Gen V BBC that never had a manual so there is no pilot hole in the crank for a manual input shaft, nor is there a drilled and tapped hole in the block for the clutch linkage cross-shaft. That bracket fixes the missing hole issue.

Your Mark IV BBC (two piece main rear seal) 454 block should have two holee drilled in the block; one for a Corvette, and the other for your car. The clutch should bolt up with the short ball and the other end is welded to the frame. You will need a 349-409 cross-shaft as they are shorter to fit the wider block into the frame.

Exhaust manifolds may not fit in your car's frame as it never had a Mark IV installed (the original 348 was a Mark I BBC), because the frame narrows at the rear. There may not be enough room for clutch linkage and stock cast iron exhaust manifolds. ZL-1 cast iron exhaust manifolds off of a NASCAR engine from 1962-'63 will fit as the 409 had Mark II canted valve heads similar to what is used on your Mark IV ((segregated exhaust ports, unlike the Siamesed "W" engine lay out). But they are as rare as hens teeth today.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 03:30 PM

Garage
Have you considered a hydraulic clutch?

1969 Imapala convertible build thread here:
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ghlight=impala

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
How would a hydraulic clutch work? Have never seen one of those.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:05 AM

Garage
Here are a couple of options:

Hydraulic clutch actuation solutions to adapt your 5 or 6 speed transmission to your Mopar, Chevy or Ford motor.

Convert From A Mechanical to a Hydraulic Clutch

I've had good experiences with American Powertrain but have never used their kit. The last time I went from a TH400 to a Tremec with a hydraulic clutch was an 85 XJS with a kit from Keasler Automotive. Well engineered but his business ended in disaster.

Probably it would be easier than the mechanical linkage you are looking at installing.

1969 Imapala convertible build thread here:
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ghlight=impala
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 09:14 AM

When Ford introduced the Hydraulic clutch with their Fox body Rustangs a lot switched over due to convenience. Chevy went to a hydraulic clutch soon after on all third, forth, and fifth gen Camaros and G-bodys from then on. Junk yards are full of hydraulic clutches as they were also used on pick-ups and vans with a manual trans also.

Just remember to reinforce the firewall where the master cylinder for the clutch bolts up as a lot of force is being applied there.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page