63 SS PG to 350 swap - Impala Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

63 SS PG to 350 swap

In my 63 SS I'm currently running a stock 327 with a PG and going to switch it out with a 350ci and t350. I've heard the floor shifter won't come up through the same hole. I want to keep the original SS console. Anyone done this that can point me in the right direction to make that happen? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 03:38 PM

There are a number of kits to convert PG console shifters in Nova, Camaro and Chevelle cars. GM loved to reuse the same parts on all of their cars, so any parts difference in the shifter mechanism would reflect the difference in size of the vehicle not a redesign of parts (one or two parts of the assembly might be a tad longer than the other or bent at an slightly angle that differs one from the other). As a hotrodder you should be able to adapt one to fit the other with just a rod or two, or two pieces of flat iron sawn from flat stock.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Big Dave! This gives me an excuse to fab something.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:58 AM

The floor shifter in a 58-63 impala powerglide is the bastard child and only factory shifter that will fit under the stock console. The 63 powerglide shifter actually bolts to the transmission instead of using a cable like your TH-350 will want. The holes to mount the shifter do not exist on a TH-350.

Shiftworks is the only company in the aftermarket that I have found that makes a shifter conversion kit for putting TH-350's and 700R4 transmissions into our years while maintaining the stock center console.

https://shiftworks.com/products/10-smoothie-rod-shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page