'65 Impala 4-speed shifter mount question - Impala Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

'65 Impala 4-speed shifter mount question

I just rebuilt the Muncie transmission in my 1965 Impala and found a problem with the shifter mounting plate. The mounting plate attaches to the tailshaft of the transmission and has 2 flat head studs that appear to be pressed in, kind of like a wheel stud. My studs are both stripped from a previous owner. Does anyone know of a supplier for these studs? I ordered a replacement mounting plate from Classic Industries (p.n.C662601) which clearly shows that it comes with studs, but it does not. I am guessing that these are grade 5 bolts that are splined into the plate, and they may or may not be fine thread. I need to get my car back on the road soon, even though it is snowing right now. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4523.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	22180   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4524.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	22182  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:37 PM

In the old days we called those studs bolts. Looks like the heads sheared off. The mount is aluminum (or the ones I owned were), which means when you screw in a steel bolt it will chemically weld itself to the aluminum shifter mount unless you put Anti-Seize paste on the threads of the steel bolt first. Once seized up it will hold, resisting any torque you can apply to the head of the bolt. Usually the head pops off and then you try and remove it with a stud remover (which leaves those marks that look like threads). When that fails you sell it on flea-Bay as a collector part very rare.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page