Power Glide to TH350 Swap - Impala Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Power Glide to TH350 Swap

Hello,
I have a '64 Impala (4 door), that came with a 327 and Power Glide. I put in a crate 350 and matched it with the TH350 trans. The flywheel (153 tooth) from the power glide did not work with the TH350. So I purchased a 168 tooth flywheel, and it does not sit properly on the original started I had. I purchased a new starter (part# 3510S) and when turning the ignition, there is nothing. Have anyone experience this, and is there a recommended starter for the TH350 with 168 tooth flywheel? I have looked at the mini starters, but don't know for sure which model of the mini starters to buy that will be compatible. Any help is much appreciated.

Big Brooks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 07:36 PM

Problem you have is the crate motor 350 uses a one piece rear seal crank with a smaller 3.00" bolt pattern on the crank. The older 327 and all SBC made from 1955-'86 used a 3.58" bolt circle. You need a 153 tooth flex plate off of a 1987 and up SBC to 2001 350. You reuse your old PowerGlide starter (designed to fit a 153 tooth flex plate) and return the 168 tooth flex plate and starter you bought.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page