What's It Called? - Impala Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Hal

What's It Called?

Happy Labor Day to my fellow Impalagins!

Here's a question for any of you transmission experts. In my '63 Impala I have the 2 speed Powerglide automatic transmission. While lying down and looking up at the undercarriage yesterday I noticed what looks like a black colored cover plate, curvy shaped like a big toothless grin running widthwise across the bottom precisely where the end of the engine connects to the front of the transmission. I've noticed this plate many times in the past. Would that, by chance, be the flywheel cover? It's held in place by 3 or 4 bolts, two of them located at opposite ends of the plate from each other.

Please enlighten me!

Les
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 04:53 PM

Called an inspection cover or a dust cover. Check google images for "powerglide inspection cover"

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 07:21 AM

It would be called a dust cover in your particular application. Since you have a 2 speed power glide you don't have a "Flywheel" you have a flex plate that has teeth that the starter engages and acts as the connection between the engine and the Torque Converter.

Manual transmission use a Flywheel and depending on the design of the Bell housing that connects the motor body to the transmission some have a plate in the bottom that would be called a fly wheel cover.

1963 Impala Convertible (Frame off resto-mod in progress)
1963 Impala 2 door hardtop (Pro Street build in progress)
1963 Impala 4 door hardtop (Parts car)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 11:22 AM

I might add that four wheel drive trucks have the same cover as a car except it is made of die cast aluminum which really changes the appearance of the tranny when bolted on. They have two additional hollow steel rods that bolt from the block at the motor mounts back to the bottom of the aluminum dust cover (inspection plate) to make everything stronger. I use them on my drag cars to prevent breaking the transmission case on hard launches (has worked so far: never broke a case, just everything else inside the case).

Big Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Hal

Thank you, gentlemen!

By the way, Mr. Deadwolf, I find your remark about the "flywheel" rather odd. According to my Detroit Iron CDRom, which has the actual shop repair manuals for '61 thru '64 Impalas, my '63 most definitely has one! After I read what you said I looked it up to make sure.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
Thank you, gentlemen!

By the way, Mr. Deadwolf, I find your remark about the "flywheel" rather odd. According to my Detroit Iron CDRom, which has the actual shop repair manuals for '61 thru '64 Impalas, my '63 most definitely has one! After I read what you said I looked it up to make sure.
If you have a PowerGlide then you have a flexplate. A flywheel as the name implies, is a thirty to sixty pound chunk of iron used to store energy and uses it's face as a friction surface for the clutch plate to rub against. All manual transmissions have a fly wheel and all automatics have a flexplate.

Big Dave
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Hal

Now, I find that interesting, Big Dave!

It seems the nomenclature in those repair manuals was in error all those years ago! Because the CDrom I have is an actual collection of the original printed versions of those manuals! In fact, "flywheel" is even used in the Supplement for the '63 model year that they had to add to the original '61 Shop Manual due to, I think, the fact that the '63 Powerglide was an all aluminum transmission as opposed to the earlier cast iron versions.

It shows how important "fact checking" is in all things!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 04:19 PM

You can type fly wheel into your search engine and see what comes up, but I bet you get better results for a replacement if you put flex plate in. Most people that proof read that stuff are not even mechanically inclined. They probably had Betty from the secretary pool do the proof reading for grammar, but she probably didn't know the difference between framing hammer and a ball-peen hammer.

1963 Impala Convertible (Frame off resto-mod in progress)
1963 Impala 2 door hardtop (Pro Street build in progress)
1963 Impala 4 door hardtop (Parts car)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Hal

You may have a good point there, Deadwolf!

Hmmm. I wonder if "Betty" might still be around these days? You know, like Betty White? Ha ha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page