Kickdown Rod - Impala Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Lightbulb Kickdown Rod

1967 283, 2 bbl to 4bbl swap.

Its hard to find information on the Kickdown / Passing Gear RODS seeing as everyone is using cables these days. However, I am fine for using rods even if the benefit of cables are much more significant and accurate. Any correction to my statements are welcome.

Adjusting the kickdown rod (slide) requires one to unscrew the rod from the linkage to the transmission lever. Only the upper rod from the the carb to the vertical. With either the accelerator floored or the linkage fully engaged make the adjustment with a very minute amount of play in the slide of the rod as not to hyper extend or pull anything out of whack at the trans.

-Note- There IS a difference in rod length between the 2bbl and 4bbl. I believe around an inch.
On my linkage the threads are 1/4x28 fine thread.
O'reillys or a local auto/parts/hardware store SHOULD have thread identification plaques where you can get an exact measurement of your threads and bolt size.

xJCx

1967 2dr Hardtop.

Last edited by 672DR; 09-05-2020 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Adding tags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 07:07 PM

There are not a lot of reproduction parts for a full size Chevy. No problem! Chevy used the same motor and transmission in all of their cars and you can buy a brand new 1955 Chevy or a brand new 1969 Camaro. The aftermarket makes every part to buld a new one in your garage. So look for a reproduction part for your transmission linkage on a Camaro board selling repoped parts.

It's a shame that the catalog publishers that sell these parts don't know this: either that or they don't want to deal with big car owners questions because they totally ignore this fact.

Big Dave
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 07:58 AM

Garage
I recently replaced my Rochester 4GC on my 327 with an Edelbrock 1406. I bought this kickdown rod and modified it to mate with the linkage on the Edelbrock:

https://www.luttyschevy.com/i-208317...el%3DPASSENGER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
kickdown, kickdown rod, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page