62 Rear Diff Rebuild help - Impala Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
62 Rear Diff Rebuild help

So I have zero experience with rebuilding rear differentials. I took mine to a shop to have them take a peek. They called me and said the gears and axles were good but that it needed seals and bearings. He said that was going to be $1200! That seems really high to me. I'm seeing rebuild kits for like $300. Can anyone give me some advice on this? If the insides are good how much should the parts cost to rebuild...how hard would it be to do myself...whats a reasonable cost for a shop to do it? Are there any parts would need to think about replacing other than the seals and bearings? Thank you!

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 01:08 AM

New bearings and seals with gaskets runs about $360, from memory but the price has probably gone up a lot since I last built a rear end..

I personally never reuse a ring and pinion because it so much harder to set up a worn gear set, and a ring and pinion of your choice of gear ratios makes it easier to see paying for a new set of gears.

This assumes you have the hydraulic press, dial indicators, stands depth mikes and calipers to set up a rear end (it isn't like you see on TV were a gear set gets thrown in the case and within 10 to 15 minutes you have a perfect contact pattern to show the audience on TV). You have to know what you are doing.

It isn't rocket science but if you have no idea you are going to be buying a lot of gear sets, side gears or axles to replace when you set the differential up wrong. You can read a book and figure it out on your own, but it still requires tools.

Big Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 08:57 AM

Highly recommend you acquire the 1962 Shop Manual Supplement AND the 1961 Shop Manual (the 62 'Supplements' the data in the 61, you need both).

Section 5 has the data/info you made find helpful.

Pete

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 09:55 AM

Are you racing your car or is it just a driver? Did you notice or hear any problem from it or did you just want it inspected? As if just a driver and no noticeable issues and unless you are planning a coast to coast run, I would just run it as it is. If you did notice a problem, I would just go with a good used.

By the way, I checked out the picture you have posted and just curious why you have your 327 Emblem up-side-down?

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 04:11 PM

The total does sound a little high considering that would be about half the way to a custom 12 bolt rear end assembly from Moser. Note that isn't the muscle pack, but the some assembly required kit. Which just means you have to put the axles in and the brakes on.

1963 Impala Convertible (Frame off resto-mod in progress)
1963 Impala 2 door hardtop (Pro Street build in progress)
1963 Impala 4 door hardtop (Parts car)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by japete92 View Post
Highly recommend you acquire the 1962 Shop Manual Supplement AND the 1961 Shop Manual (the 62 'Supplements' the data in the 61, you need both).

Section 5 has the data/info you made find helpful.

Pete
Thank you! Been needing one for a while. Getting one now!

Aaron
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62BillT View Post
Are you racing your car or is it just a driver? Did you notice or hear any problem from it or did you just want it inspected? As if just a driver and no noticeable issues and unless you are planning a coast to coast run, I would just run it as it is. If you did notice a problem, I would just go with a good used.

By the way, I checked out the picture you have posted and just curious why you have your 327 Emblem up-side-down?
I have never run the car. It sat for 20+ years before I picked it up so Im going through everything...and the emblems were upside down when i got it. haha

The car is completely torn down now...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Dave...I decided to pick it up from the shop...I'm going to attempt to remove the bearings and seals myself...then take to machine shop to get the new ones on. I'll probably have a shop look at the ring and pinon...I like to learn stuff myself but I feel like some things are best left to the pros. Thanks again.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 04:06 PM

Just drop the pumpkin, after pulling both axles out half way (push them back in when the pumpkin is out to keep dirt out and from banging your shins as you walk by the car).

Take the pumpkin and bearings with seals to who ever is going to rebuild it as they need to take measurements of pinion depth, back lash, etc. before it comes apart.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page