Impalas.net banner

65 Impala with automatic column shifter????

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jayoldschool 
#1 ·
Has anyone every heard of a 65 SS Impala with a automatic transmission and the shifter is on the column. The vin comes back a SS for sure. There is not cut out in the floor for a floor shifter and the Cowl tag says bench seat. Was this an option to have a colum shifter? Need everyones input please. VIN starts with 166

#2 ·
Unless you ordered ther console it would be on the tree (I do not know what was part of the SS package on a 1966 Impala).

I'm pretty sure in 1966 it was a trim option, and not a performance option (meaning you could order a four cylinder three in the tree with an SS package because it was only decals and baubles). The SS package jumped back and forth from being only trim to being a performance option (big high performance motor, heavy duty suspension made of HD shocks and stiffer springs with bigger brakes, transmission, and rear end with HD cooling, battery, and the above mentioned decals and baubles) from year to year.

Big Dave

#3 ·
Something odd there as I thought that in 65 and 66 that ALL Impala SS's were bucket seats.
Maybe it's a special order car and the original owner wanted an SS with bench and column? Like Dave said, the rest is pretty much just emblems.

Can you share a picture of the body tag?

#4 ·
Something odd there as I thought that in 65 and 66 that ALL Impala SS's were bucket seats.
Maybe it's a special order car and the original owner wanted an SS with bench and column? Like Dave said, the rest is pretty much just emblems.

Can you share a picture of the body tag?
I agree Allan. The only difference in an SS was the buckets and a few trim pieces. With no drivetrain or suspension difference, why have an SS with only the emblems?

#5 ·
"meaning you could order a four cylinder three in the tree with an SS "

I think Dave meant six cylinder not four cylinder!! We will give him an easy pass on this one.

I think the basic 3 speed manual tranny was on the column in the SS. Are you sure it was an automatic?

What seats does it currently have and what is the interior trim code. You can tell if it was originally a bench seat from the trim code.

#6 ·
"meaning you could order a four cylinder three in the tree with an SS "

I think Dave meant six cylinder not four cylinder!! We will give him an easy pass on this one.

I think the basic 3 speed manual tranny was on the column in the SS. Are you sure it was an automatic?

What seats does it currently have and what is the interior trim code. You can tell if it was originally a bench seat from the trim code.
Nope I ment four cylinder. It was an RPO option that anyone who wanted a 153 cubic inch four for economy could order. The City of Tampa Water Department had a fleet of twelve 1966 Implals with the Iron Duke four banger under the hood that they gave to the water meter readers. I used to service those cars regularly when I had a shop and bid on such work.

Big Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.