Is a 76' Impala rear end interchangable with a 72' - Impala Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Is a 76' Impala rear end interchangable with a 72'

Hey guys, jus had my rear diff carrier bearing on the driverside call it quits on me last weekend. my rear end is a 10 bolt, open diff w/ C-clips and 8.5" ring gear. 38 teeth on the ring gear, 38 teeth on the pinion gear. I was thinking about rebuilding it later on as the housing is alright and not damaged from the carrier bearing litterally exploding in the rear diff. I just need something in there to move around right now.

Was thinking about finding a 12 bolt rear end cause there stronger and I have 24's on my car.

The question I got is, I found a 76' Impala at my local wrecker out here and was wondering if the rear diff axle complete is interchangable and will bolt right up to my OE 72' Impala 4 link set up in my car right now? I don't know if it's a 12 bolt or 10 bolt rear. I will have to check it out. If it's a 12 bolt rear, would my OE 72' driveline, 10 bolt, U-joint bolt up to the 12 bolt rear yoke? As same as if it was a 10 bolt from that year also? or would have to buy a new U-joint? Any info would help guys, I'll throw up some pictures later on today. Thanks!

-Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 09:08 AM

1971-'76 shares interchangeable parts. The rear end should be a direct bolt in. If you want a 12 bolt Currie sells them ready to bolt in but they have to rebuild and refurbish an old used 12 bolt and then weld on used refurbished brackets off of another used 8.5 inch rear end to do that. Moser will sell you a brand new 12 bolt rear end (stronger than the Spicer original OEM rear) with out the mounting brackets if you have a means of recycling the old brackets (plasma torch to cut them off, grinders and sand blasters to clean them up and a welder and jig to put them back on where they belong).

Big Dave
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

rear diff

Thanks Big Dave! I'm gonna go and check it out today or tomorrow. Hopefully this complete rear diff assembly gets me through for what I need. Thanks again!

-Shawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page