Anyone used a Hurst shifter in a '65? - Impala Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Anyone used a Hurst shifter in a '65?

I have a bench seat '65 Impala. Converting from a three speed to a muncie 4 speed. Using the correct 1965 muncie. I've heard from several that the Hurst shifter mechanism is vastly superior to the stock muncie linkage. I've also heard about conversions that use the Hurst shifter levers but have the correct muncie shifter so the result is a car that looks stock from the outside and from the interior but underneath shifts much better.
I can't find that Hurst makes a shifter mechanism for anything past 1964. Does anybody have experience with this situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 10:30 PM

The Hurst shifter was invented in 1962. It mounts directly to the transmission instead of bolting to the frame of the car so that the linkage does not get in a bind when the motor is making torque. The Muncie did not make it onto the scene until 1964 which is why it only lists that far back in the catalog. Prior to that GM relied upon the Borg-Warner T-10 to mix the gears on a four-speed car (95% of cars in the early sixties had three speeds, not four). You can bolt up a Muncie transmission and then use a Hurst shifter in cars as far back as 1949 if memory serves me correctly.

What you are asking for is a Hurst shifter mechanism with a Muncie handle bolted to the shifter. The Hurst Competition Plus Shifter had a removable handle that could be bolted in place to match the car (make and model) and the interior (bucket seats with a console or without, or to fit a bench seat).
Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I know all of that but the question is whether anyone has experience fitting a hurst shifter mechanism to the muncie shifter on the '65 Impala. If so, what year did you order the hurst shifter for since they only list the models to '64? Did you have any problems with the shifter mounting to the '65 transmission? What bracket did you use to do this - hurst or muncie? I'm not interested in using the hurst shifter itself, only the shifter mechanism (I want the look original, not necessarily the mechanism).
thanks

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:31 PM

I've experienced the same frustration with my `68 while looking for new Rods for my `68 vintage Comp Plus Shifter. (I was fortunate enough to have hung on to this since the `70's). Hurst does not currently offer anything for full size Chevys beyond `64 as you've found out, but they once did. I contacted Hurst about this, and they indicated that they stopped making `65-`69 Shifters (and subsequent replacement parts) for full size Chevys about 20 years ago.

That being the case, my advice would be to contact Pete Serio out of Cleavland, OH to help you find what you're looking for, for your `65. He specializes in vintage Hurst shifters for all things Pontiac, but sells obsolete Hurst parts for all GM cars. He can also fabricate custom Muncie/Hurst Mounting Plates and Linkage Rods. He may even have a complete `65 full size 4-speed available. In my experience, Pete is very knowledgeable, and will work with you to get you what you need at very reasonable prices. You can check out his web site at: http://www.precisionpontiac.com/

Good luck,

Bigblox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page