T-56 floor pan mods? - Impala Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

T-56 floor pan mods?

Hello all, I have a 1966 2 door post belair. I am interested in putting a t-56 in it. Has anyone done this? How much modification is required to the floor pan? Would the bench seat still work? The car is currently a 4-speed car.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 05:46 PM

If you have not purchased a tranny yet the fine folks that make the T-56 (Tremec) now sell a T-56 designed to fit an older muscle car (called a TKO) so that you do not have to cut up the transmission tunnel. (this is based upon their print ads as I have no personal experience).

Big Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 06:19 PM

It won't require any mods IF you don't run the reverse lock out solenoid. If you do, you just need to get angry with a ball peen hammer for a couple of minutes. No need to cut and weld.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
If you have not purchased a tranny yet the fine folks that make the T-56 (Tremec) now sell a T-56 designed to fit an older muscle car (called a TKO) so that you do not have to cut up the transmission tunnel. (this is based upon their print ads as I have no personal experience).

Big Dave

I thought the TKOs were only five speeds?

Do you have pictures of the "modification" jay?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 11:26 PM

They have a couple of new designs (which I thought where also called TKO's instead of the old "T" letter that Borg-Warner, who created and made the transmission's originally), Maybe the lettering system include the the "K" for Kessler, but whatever the O stands for I have no idea (from my memory Kessler bought out Borg-Warner's design and rights to the tranny who was then bought out by Tremec if I am keeping that straight in my mind). It all may just be a marketing ploy.

Because most old cars have sloping trans tunnels they aledgedly did something to the bolt on tail housing design to center the shifter in same place as the old Muncie-Hurst shifter location and dropped the profile in the back of the trans to keep you from carving up your floor boards to make the unit fit older cars and at the same time use a mechanical speedo gear.

Big Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 09:16 AM
BA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrotull View Post
I thought the TKOs were only five speeds?

Do you have pictures of the "modification" jay?

Unless something has recently changed, you are correct on that point James.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 09:56 AM

Yes, the TKO is completely different than the Tremec (formerly Borg-Warner) T56.

I don't have a pic of the floor pan dimple required, but if you look at the location of the reverse lockout solenoid, it will be obvious. To eliminate that issue, I simply removed the solenoid and replaced with a block out plate.

See the thing pointing towards the front with the electrical connector? That's the reverse lockout.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page