1968 PG to TH350 - Impala Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions & Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

1968 PG to TH350

hi, have a few questions with this conversions, such as, according to shift works, i need a kit for some sort of tranny linkage(brackets) i was un aware that this conversion took anything more then just swapping it and reconnecting the cable. what exactly do i need? (be understanding that this is a hobbie I'm still getting into) also if any one knows what is the length of the stock 68 impalas drive shaft? i have to get a new one and need to know when out hunting. thank you for your time, matt

also if this helps the car came with no engine or trans but after code break down i learned it had a 327sbc and a PG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 03:11 AM

1968 was the last year for a throttle rod (in 1969 GM switched over to a cable). You will need the brackets that go on the carburetor to make the kick-down work which can be a problem because GM didn't release the TH350 until 1969. So to use the kick down cable you will need the brackets off of a 1969 350 with a QuadraJet carb.

The shifter linkage is the same as that used for the three speed TH400 (it is available in reproduction for many vendors). The drive shaft is the same for both the TH350 and the PowerGlide.

You will also need a vacuum line to go down to the tranny. The factory used a steel tube bolted to the firewall with a rubber hose at the top connected to the intake manifold and at the bottom of the tube connected to the vacuum modulator to keep a long rubber hose from coming in contact with the hot exhaust pipes. (you could still use a long hose just watch where it is routed).

The cross-member and everything else (except the gear selector indicator on the steering column) are the same as used with the PowerGlide. The aftermarket also sells a new decal to change the steering column gear selector indicator over to three speeds (same one used with the TH400).

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

ok as far as the vacuum hoses and such the tranny and the 350 where pulled from the same vehicle so I'm hopping i can reuse the metal lines (as they where in good condition) and it has a 4 b Quadra jett, so should be just kick-down linkage and cable, as well as the tranny linkage. the vehicle i pulled the engine and tranny out of didnt have the kick down attached, so i need to get that going ,or i wont have a passing gear, right?) (it is still drivable with out kick down, right?)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 04:48 AM

Yes the tranny will function without the kick down. It will not down shift automatically to pass anyone and it will also leak tranny fluid out of the hole that the cable plugs into, but it is only a leak as it will not be pumping fluid out under pressure.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page