64 impala brake conversion to power brakes - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

64 impala brake conversion to power brakes

Hello everyone.

First thing that I wanted to tackle was the brake system. I would like to convert the old front drums to power disc brakes. Anyone that you would recommend that would have a complete front brake setup that bolts in and if so what is the smallest size rim that could fit on it? I was also looking for some after market headers for my 327 like some shortys or something.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 06:48 PM

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Big Dave,

Thanks for the info! Looks like everything that I am looking for. Anybody knows where I can get some headers for a Chevy 327 at a good price?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 11:56 AM

Holy Jesus!!! that's a lot of money for that kit. I don't know if any other company offers the caliper brackets, but besides the brackets, there's ~$400 worth of parts in that kit, if everything bought at NAPA.

Try "Auto City Classics" - 800-828-2212 - http://www.autocityclassic.com (their website only lists the glass for some reason ).

They sell what looks like an identical kit (my brother put one on his '60 impala) for somewhere in the $500 range, which uses mostly Chevelle parts. Any 15" wheel will fit, and some 14" will, but not all.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

I did some checking and it seems that from 59-64 they all have the same disc conversion kit. The only thing is that I will have to order the brackets from one of the books right? I have seen the kits for $765.00 which is the cheapest I have seen that will fit a min. of a 14" rim.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Now that I have the brakes taken care of I need to change over the old canister type oil filter to a regular oil filter. Can I get that at any auto part store? If so do you know of a part number for that? Also need to change over the old point sytem, can I just get the bypass kit at autozone or something?

Thanks!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 04:19 PM

You might want to try www.rightstuffdetailing.com. I met these guys at a show and was impressed with them. Besides, they show your kit at $425 std or $495 with booster.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Mike!
I needed that because I have found a pin hole leak in the center line going towards the rear. Where are some shows being held at locally?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 12:27 PM

I really don't know, try contacting them. They have show specials on both conversions and line kits which save you money and freight.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks,

I tried to call them last week but no answer. I will try again tomorrow. I got some prices off of the net and they seem to be resonable but hopefully they are pre bent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page