1967 panhard rod - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

1967 panhard rod

I'm doing a frame off on my 67 impala convertible. I have Hotchkis upper and lower trailing arms, CPP disc brakes, and have a 12bolt posi rear end (used to have a ten bolt) out of a 67 impala. I used an aftermarket aluminum diff cover that is the same size as the stock one, but now my panhard rod bar won't bolt on, it hits the diff cover. Any suggestions? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 11:02 AM

Just the plain old stamped steel cover.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 11:26 AM

The other option is to extend the mounting point further aft by machining a new anchor bolt out of bar stock. If you don't have a lathe your friendly Tool and Die maker does. A Tool and Die maker is a master machinist that has his own equipment to make dies and fabricate one of parts for people like you who need a part that doesn't as yet exist.

Just be sure to take him one of your two current mounts or the dimensions of the two parts if it doesn't unscrew and how much longer to make the shoulder of the part the Panhard bar mounts to. You will also have to guestimate how long the shoulder should be if it doesn't unscrew and is instead welded in place as you are going to need to cut off the old part and weld on the new one (needs to be centered and perpendicular), and you can not move the Panhard so far back that it rubs on the gas tank.

Big Dave

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 11:31 PM

Did you ever find a solution? I just ran into the same problem. If we just extend the one mounting point back won't we put a bind on the rods movements with suspension travel? Things won't be square?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page