Brake Bleeding - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Brake Bleeding

How do I keep coming up with these screwy issues......I've always heard "bleed from the farthest brake first to the closest last".
Then I look at the instructions for my Mytivac hand pump brake bleeder system and it says if you have a rear wheel drive vehicle to do just the opposite! Which is it??? Does it really matter?? Thanks!! Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 09:33 PM

Isn't the advice for the Mityvac that way because it is not pulling the fluid but rather pushing the air back up an out?

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

I don't think so as it's definitely pulling the fluid through the line and into the cup on the Mityvac. Going to take a look at my service manual and see if that has anything to say!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Well it gets even more interesting. Reading the manual it says when pressure bleeding or mechanical bleeding to start at the farthest (which is the left rear on a '62 as the rear brakes are fed from the right front side of the car). However, remember this was before vacuum bleeding such as the Mityvac was invented. So now what?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 08:54 AM

I never read the instruction sheet for my Myti-Vac as I assumed it was instructions on assembly, and it isn't that hard to figure out. I used it as I have always bleed brakes and since I bleed them to no only remove air but to change the fluid I pumped until it ran clear for awhile or the reservoir was nearly empty. I have since gone to a Motive air over fluid power bleeder (three gallon stainless tank) and had great success with that as is much faster and never runs out of fluid.

If you think about it vacuum is simply negative pressure; so you are pressure bleeding the brakes.

Big Dave
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 01:06 PM
BA.

I do mine farthest away first whether manually pumping or (now-a-days) using an air-assisted tool. (it might be Motive as well, I can't recall)

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page