Blasphemy: Air Suspension installation - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

1Likes
  • 1 Post By burrism

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Blasphemy: Air Suspension installation

So I am sure this is blasphemy to ask this question, but I am looking to install air suspension on my '59 and was wondering if anyone has done a similar installation on an X-Frame? I am interested in discussing how and where to run the air line from the front to the rear.

Thanks and happy new year!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mock up test fit (2).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	21940   Click image for larger version

Name:	painted frame (2).jpg
Views:	130
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	21942  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 12:18 PM

I can not help as I have never done it. Used to be as common as dirt mid forties through early sixties: it was a popular trend in southern California called "Low riders". Larga vida baja y lenta

Big Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:05 AM

Garage
I have seen it done. A local guy actually just won an award at Goodguys with his 59 on air suspension. I only know his info from Instagram. if you have that, you might be able to message him on there and get some info and check out what he has done.Check out @Terry-rials

1970 Impala Custom coupe
400ci SBC

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:22 AM

I would probably run it like the brake and fuel lines, through the drive shaft tunnel. Since your line is not a hard line though it will probably have to be tide to the fuel line to keep it away from any rubs on the drive shaft and you are going to want to carefully check clearances to make sure even during suspension travel it can't rub. This keeps it hidden and protected from the road.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:44 AM
BA.

Not blasphemy, but, I haven't done air suspension either. A friend has one on his 56 wagon though.

on a perimieter frame, using the fuel line as a path is usually a good option with consideration for the air line being more heat sensitive.

You might also consider 'adel' clamps if you want a specific routing path, perhaps down the rocker panel.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/...05-64_1000.jpg

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Just a quick update for the group:

Air lines have been installed successfully. I install 1/2" tubing inside the frame ans a guide/sheath for the 3/8" air line. I also installed rubber grommets where the tubing comes out of the frame on each end. I have a nice video of it working, but cannot post it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0123 small.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	22840   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0122 small.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	22842  
BA. likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 03:21 AM

Actually I just noted the elephant plastic mock up block and heads you have in your photo. That is blasphemy to a MOPAR purist. Surprised you found an oil pan that fit that combination. Don't forget the oil filter hanging off the front of the motor that gets in the way of everything.

Only thing wrong with the Hemi design was the oiling system. If Keith Black hadn't cast a BBC block out of aluminum that accepted Hemi heads everyone in the top Fuel ranks would still be running a BBC. Because the Hemi couldn't finish a race under boost without blowing up for lack of oil pressure. If you ever wonder why just look at the oil that comes out of the engine after a race: goes in as 90 weight, and comes out as zero weight due to fuel dilution from blow by).

Hemi heads were a gift from God, but the the original 1958 Chrysler "B" engine that the RB 413/426 wedge engine was based on was a poor design. It wasn't until 1965 that Chrysler reworked the Chrysler "B" engine with the introduction of the 440 truck engine that they got all of the bugs out (the new 500 cube Hemi crate engines are based on the newer revised block castings).

Had you considered the 472? (a 409 bored thirty with a turned down 454 crank installed). Today I was scanning a bunch of 1995 Chevy High Performance magazines that are full of 409, and early Impala SS cars due to the interest generated in the 1994-'96 Impala SS car and the thirtieth anniversary of the BBC.

Big Dave
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

My friend, that is an LS3 block and an 700R4 transmission, both mock up blocks. The current situation is an LS3 and 6L80e out of 2017 Chevrolet SS that was T-boned.

here is a link to the video of it being started for the first time: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ajpf42ksez...20LS3.mp4?dl=0

and here is a link of the air suspension: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqeudw49zc...0test.mov?dl=0
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mock up engine and tranny.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	22848   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine in place (1) small.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	22850  

Last edited by burrism; 11-22-2019 at 05:14 AM. Reason: added a link or two
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 12:13 PM

Sorry about that I thought it was a 426 Hemi with the plug tubes going into the head through the valve covers that were not as yet installed. Definitely need more sleep.

Actually what is really sad is I have more experience building a Hemi for top fuel (used to work with Garlits) than I do with the LS-x.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page