+power disk brake conversion - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rochester, N.Y.
Posts: 38
 
Garage
+power disk brake conversion

I bought a power front disc brake conversion kit from Summit Racing. Started with drivers side. took brake drums shoes, and backing plate and hardware off, only to find that the main bracket for the calipers wouldn't match no way no how. Put my drum brakes back together. I'm sick of these companies saying that a certain conversion will fit. They are refunding my money. Does anyone know of a power brake unit with master cylinder and proportioning valve that I could install and keep my drum brakes?
wk2hons is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:27 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,455
 
If you retain your drum brakes you don't need a proportioning valve. A proportioning valve is used on a drum disc system because disc brakes require a lot more line pressure to work. Drum brakes are self acting and require a big honking spring to retract the shoes once applied, not a lot of line pressure. This is why most disc brakes are power assist to keep Granny Goodwrech from getting a run in her stockings from standing on a non-power assist with both feet on the pedal..

There are many brake kits for your car. Price affects quality and safety of the parts.

The cheaper kits use parts from the bad part of Asia, Pakistan and India. They are to quote a phrase unsafe at any speed, but they are cheap.

Medium priced kits use brakes off of a G-body from the mid 80's. Those kits don't tell you that you can find these parts at many auto stores as they want you to buy their expensive kit. Look on line for a complete parts list. Once again the cheaper the part the more dangerous it is.

Finally there are the premium part kits made out of billet material by NASCAR racers turned auto parts resellers (Baer and Wilwood). They all offer from stock to huge rotors and caliper designs. From nine inch rotors to over fourteen inches in diameter, with one piston floating calipers, up to six piston bridging calipers.

As to a power assist master cylinder Rock Auto dot com has all of the replacement stock parts that Chevy used (eleven inch vacuum diaphragm, activating rod to fit your master cylinder (there are four different types) and of course the master cylinder sized for drum brakes.

Big Dave
Big Dave is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:13 AM
Team Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 283
 
Try "The Right Stuff" disc brake conversions unless that's what Summitt sold you. I haven't had any problems with mine, and the brackets were well made and fit the first time.

https://www.getdiscbrakes.com/

1968 Impala SS
496 Stroker
T56 Conversion
3.73 Posi-Trac
68WASAGOODYEAR is offline  
 
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rochester, N.Y.
Posts: 38
 
Garage
The Right stuff is what Summit sold me.
wk2hons is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Piedmont, SC
Posts: 136
 
Garage
I didn't see the model year of your car...

Try giving Tobin at KORE3 a call. He mostly makes big GM brake kits for older cars and often covers applications not listed on his web site.

I have his C6 Z51 kit on my fronts and rears. The kit is not listed on his web catalog and I had to wait about 6 weeks for him to make the front hubs. Well worth it. Fit was perfect and he was always available to answer questions.

1969 Imapala convertible build thread here:
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ghlight=impala
justjohn is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 284
 
Garage
Not trying to be a d1#k but are you sure you are doing this right? Or maybe wrong parts were sent, which Summit will fix.

I've used Right Stuff conversion on multiple cars and never had an issue.

I've done many 61-70 Impalas and many different A-body cars, front and back, without any major problems.
67SS is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rochester, N.Y.
Posts: 38
 
Garage
I think maybe the wrong parts were sent, because I have bought other things from Summit without any problems.
wk2hons is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rochester, N.Y.
Posts: 38
 
Garage
I have decided to keep the drum brakes. I will look at Rock Auto for a power assist unit for drum brakes.
wk2hons is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 32
 
+power disk brake conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk2hons View Post
I have decided to keep the drum brakes. I will look at Rock Auto for a power assist unit for drum brakes.


What made you want to keep your drums if Summit can sent you the right parts? Mainly asking because I知 trying to decide if I want to convert my drums to disk also and I知 curious to see what your take is. Just don稚 want to deal with the hassle of it all?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
camware is online now  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 284
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by camware View Post
What made you want to keep your drums if Summit can sent you the right parts? Mainly asking because I知 trying to decide if I want to convert my drums to disk also and I知 curious to see what your take is. Just don稚 want to deal with the hassle of it all?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know about OP, but converting to disc brakes was a best upgrade I've done to my Impala. It proved to be a right upgrade when a car jumped in front of me without signal light and I had to slam on the brakes, there is no way in hell my drum brakes would've stopped that fast from 65mph. With drum brakes my stopping distance was a lot longer and in traffic they would get hot and start slipping. With disc brakes I'm driving the behemoth like a normal car, I don't need a mile gap between my car and the car in front of me, and I'm not scared to drive up and down the hills of San Francisco anymore.
67SS is offline  
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 32
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67SS View Post
I don't know about OP, but converting to disc brakes was a best upgrade I've done to my Impala. It proved to be a right upgrade when a car jumped in front of me without signal light and I had to slam on the brakes, there is no way in hell my drum brakes would've stopped that fast from 65mph. With drum brakes my stopping distance was a lot longer and in traffic they would get hot and start slipping. With disc brakes I'm driving the behemoth like a normal car, I don't need a mile gap between my car and the car in front of me, and I'm not scared to drive up and down the hills of San Francisco anymore.


Ok thanks for the info. What kit did you use?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
camware is online now  
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 284
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by camware View Post
Ok thanks for the info. What kit did you use?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've used CPP 0 offset kit. Part number 6568WBK-S0
67SS is offline  
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:31 PM
BA.
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Miamisburg, Oh.
Posts: 3,165
Blog Entries: 15
 
If Summit indeed sold you a kit entirely from "The Right Stuff", that companies' kits have worked well for many members on this forum.

Either the wrong kit was sent, or maybe it got packaged wrong. Either way, both companies are solid and work to make us DIY'ers satisfied.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
BA. is offline  
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Piedmont, SC
Posts: 136
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
If Summit indeed sold you a kit entirely from "The Right Stuff", that companies' kits have worked well for many members on this forum.

Either the wrong kit was sent, or maybe it got packaged wrong. Either way, both companies are solid and work to make us DIY'ers satisfied.
I've previously installed a CPP rear disk kit. Initially it did not fit and there were some issues that CPP worked to resolve fairly quickly. I got everything installed and working but it was marginally satisfying.

The KORE3 kits kits are a giant step up in quality and function.

1969 Imapala convertible build thread here:
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ghlight=impala
justjohn is offline  
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 32
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
I've previously installed a CPP rear disk kit. Initially it did not fit and there were some issues that CPP worked to resolve fairly quickly. I got everything installed and working but it was marginally satisfying.



The KORE3 kits kits are a giant step up in quality and function.


Is there a KORE3 kit that covers a 66? I looked at their site and only saw one for 71-76.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
camware is online now  
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 284
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
I've previously installed a CPP rear disk kit. Initially it did not fit and there were some issues that CPP worked to resolve fairly quickly. I got everything installed and working but it was marginally satisfying.

The KORE3 kits kits are a giant step up in quality and function.
You are talking about rear disc kit. You will not feel much difference by installing rear disc brakes on these old cars, I don't care where the kit is from. On classic cars about 90% of braking is on the front, rear drums do more than good enough job for the remaining 10%.
I do agree that KORE3 has quality kits, I have their kit on my Cutlass and I'm very happy with it. Also customer service and tech support that Tobin provided is outstanding.

The reason I went with CPP kit is cause it doesn't push the wheel out like most kits on the market and I am able to run my 14's with hubcaps with minor modification.
67SS is offline  
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 284
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by camware View Post
Is there a KORE3 kit that covers a 66? I looked at their site and only saw one for 71-76.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Call them and ask for Tobin, he can answer all your questions and I'm sure he can put a kit together if they don't have one.
67SS is offline  
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:15 PM
BA.
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Miamisburg, Oh.
Posts: 3,165
Blog Entries: 15
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
I've previously installed a CPP rear disk kit. Initially it did not fit and there were some issues that CPP worked to resolve fairly quickly. I got everything installed and working but it was marginally satisfying.

The KORE3 kits kits are a giant step up in quality and function.

I'm not really a big fan of CPP but I try not to ever mention that.....or them.

BIG FAN of KORE3 though - really good reputation there.

I'm sure they can hook the OP up with front brakes similar to a C3 Vette, assuming the rotor is sized to the OP's rims.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
BA. is offline  
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Piedmont, SC
Posts: 136
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67SS View Post
You are talking about rear disc kit. You will not feel much difference by installing rear disc brakes on these old cars, I don't care where the kit is from. On classic cars about 90% of braking is on the front, rear drums do more than good enough job for the remaining 10%.
I do agree that KORE3 has quality kits, I have their kit on my Cutlass and I'm very happy with it. Also customer service and tech support that Tobin provided is outstanding.

The reason I went with CPP kit is cause it doesn't push the wheel out like most kits on the market and I am able to run my 14's with hubcaps with minor modification.
I have fronts and rears but was specifically talking about the rears. CPP had to machine a send me a new bridge on their kit to get one caliper centered, one of the caliper parking brake arms bent over time, and I had to do some manual fitting to the the rear bracket bolted on. Point was it worked but....

The KORE3 kit had zero issues and bolted right up. It would have worked fine with the original foot parking brake and some extended rear cables as well but I have since put in a new Camaro console and hand parking brake lever.

I also wasn't worried about wheel spacing. I have adapters with C6 wheels. I respect keeping the 14's but it's not where I went.
67SS likes this.

1969 Imapala convertible build thread here:
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ghlight=impala
justjohn is offline  
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 03:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 284
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
I have fronts and rears but was specifically talking about the rears. CPP had to machine a send me a new bridge on their kit to get one caliper centered, one of the caliper parking brake arms bent over time, and I had to do some manual fitting to the the rear bracket bolted on. Point was it worked but....

The KORE3 kit had zero issues and bolted right up. It would have worked fine with the original foot parking brake and some extended rear cables as well but I have since put in a new Camaro console and hand parking brake lever.

I also wasn't worried about wheel spacing. I have adapters with C6 wheels. I respect keeping the 14's but it's not where I went.
I'm not trying to defend CPP, I had my share of issues with them. They are definitely not my 1st choice when it comes to parts for my cars.

I kept 14's cause I really like the classic look with hubcaps, at the time, I think CPP was the only option. Another reason that I went with CPP is that my car is bagged so I didn't want it to rub when it's laid out with bigger wheels.
Also I can mount wheels from my other cars and they won't rub.
I change wheels on my cars like I change shoes .
BA. likes this.
67SS is offline  
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rochester, N.Y.
Posts: 38
 
Garage
I ended up just putting a power assist for my drum brakes on my 67. It made a big difference in the amount of foot pressure. Just didn't want to hassle with what parts were wrong with the disc conversion. Car stops a lot better and cost less.
67SS likes this.
wk2hons is offline  
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 32
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wk2hons View Post
I ended up just putting a power assist for my drum brakes on my 67. It made a big difference in the amount of foot pressure. Just didn't want to hassle with what parts were wrong with the disc conversion. Car stops a lot better and cost less.


Did that consist of simply installing a power brake booster?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
camware is online now  
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Rochester, N.Y.
Posts: 38
 
Garage
Yes it was a power brake booster with a master cylinder, meant for 67 power drum brakes. it had studs that went thru the firewall, and the rod went to a lower hole in the brake pedal.
wk2hons is offline  
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 284
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by camware View Post
Did that consist of simply installing a power brake booster?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Different master cylinder is needed if you are planning on installing a booster. you will need to bench bleed the M/C before installing, and bleed the whole system after installing, starting with the one farthest away corner from the M/C (passenger rear). Upper hole in the pedal without booster and lower hole with the booster.
67SS is offline  
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 32
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67SS View Post
Different master cylinder is needed if you are planning on installing a booster. you will need to bench bleed the M/C before installing, and bleed the whole system after installing, starting with the one farthest away corner from the M/C (passenger rear). Upper hole in the pedal without booster and lower hole with the booster.


Gotcha. My car had a dual master cylinder installed when I got it back (sold it and bought it back a few years later). I was reading somewhere on the forum that there is a different dual MC for drum cars and disc cars. I believe the car may have had disc brakes installed while it was owned by whoever had it in between me owning it. That being the case, I知 not sure if the dual MC I have is the same one that was on the car when it had disc brakes. The car has always stopped fine for drums all around so I知 not sure what an incorrect MC would feel like.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
camware is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome