4Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Dave
  • 1 Post By 67SS
  • 1 Post By 67SS
  • 1 Post By Tabascoboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Front end kits?

What kind of front suspension kits/products are you guys using? Iím working on re-doing mine now and Iím wondering if these kits you see offered are worth it or would local parts store parts work fine. Iíve been looking locally at Rare Parts and NAPA Chassis tie rods and ball joints but Iím not sure which is better if one is actually better than the other.

I spoke to the counter guy at NAPA and he said their NAPA Chassis parts are very high quality and are better than Moog. Autozone has Rare Parts and TRW as their higher end parts. Does anyone have any experience with either of these or the kits offered online? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 06:02 PM

PST used to use Moog parts that were either Canadian or made in the USA back when they were my go to source. Now Moog parts are made in Mexico or in China, so my experience isn't relevant.

NAPA has guaranteed their parts to be as good as or better than factory parts Since 1931. But that only applies to their premium parts as they sell Chinese parts to bottom feeders who are not concerned about safety, only about price, because they are competing with the Chinese import sellers to stay in business.

Big Dave
camware likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 08:21 AM

Garage
Model year of your car would be helpful...

My 69 is a mix of Moog, RideTech, Global West and Howe (for the tall ball joints).

1969 Imapala convertible build thread here:
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ghlight=impala

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
Model year of your car would be helpful...

My 69 is a mix of Moog, RideTech, Global West and Howe (for the tall ball joints).

My bad, I thought I had it listed in a signature. My car is a 66 Biscayne.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 11:07 AM

Garage
Yes, Napa Chassis is much better than Moog. Compare them side by side and difference is noticeable. Napa Chassis Parts are made by Dana/Spicer, unless something changed in last couple of years.
All my parts were stamped "Made in USA".
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Front end kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67SS View Post
Yes, Napa Chassis is much better than Moog. Compare them side by side and difference is noticeable. Napa Chassis Parts are made by Dana/Spicer, unless something changed in last couple of years.
All my parts were stamped "Made in USA".

Yeah thatís what my research showed also so Iím assuming theyíre still made by Dana/Spicer. Have you been pretty happy with them on your car?

Last edited by camware; 12-13-2019 at 07:38 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 11:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by camware View Post
Yeah thatís what my research showed also so Iím assuming theyíre still made by Dana/Spicer. Have you been pretty happy with them on your car?

Yeah I'm very happy with them, no issues whatsoever.
camware likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 01:29 PM

Moog was a part of Federal-Mogul that also included TRW. In 1999 a business conglomerate combined six different business (aircraft, pipelines, shipping, automotive, and trucking companies) bought Federal-Mogul. Like any money manager production took a back seat to cutting costs and maximizing profits for the stock holders (hence Moog parts being made in China). Dana-Spicer has held off take over bids so far, and though part of a world wide conglomerate, it is still head-quartered in the US.

Personally I use polyurethane parts instead of rubber ones made to Mil-Spec standards by Energy Suspension. That company supplies all of the bushings and plastic pads required for the US military. For ball joints and tie rod ends I look to US Made manufactures (keeping in mind any thing manufactured in the North American continent that is within a hundred miles of the border qualifies to bear the "Made in USA" label. Mexico and Canada actually have a better track record on parts in my opinion than the US does lately.

Big Dave
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Moog was a part of Federal-Mogul that also included TRW. In 1999 a business conglomerate combined six different business (aircraft, pipelines, shipping, automotive, and trucking companies) bought Federal-Mogul. Like any money manager production took a back seat to cutting costs and maximizing profits for the stock holders (hence Moog parts being made in China). Dana-Spicer has held off take over bids so far, and though part of a world wide conglomerate, it is still head-quartered in the US.

Personally I use polyurethane parts instead of rubber ones made to Mil-Spec standards by Energy Suspension. That company supplies all of the bushings and plastic pads required for the US military. For ball joints and tie rod ends I look to US Made manufactures (keeping in mind any thing manufactured in the North American continent that is within a hundred miles of the border qualifies to bear the "Made in USA" label. Mexico and Canada actually have a better track record on parts in my opinion than the US does lately.

Big Dave

Iíve seen where people complain about the poly bushings being too stiff. I may give them a shot anyway and see how I feel about them.

What do you all think about CPPís rebuild kits? Are the geared towards a direct pen replacement quality-wise?

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 09:08 PM
BA.

I got my front A-arms from Global West, springs too, all other front end wearable parts from Rock Auto. Front swaybar from Addco.
Rear, upper control arms from Hotchkis.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 09:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by camware View Post
Iíve seen where people complain about the poly bushings being too stiff. I may give them a shot anyway and see how I feel about them.

What do you all think about CPPís rebuild kits? Are the geared towards a direct pen replacement quality-wise?

I would stay away from CPP kits, quality seems to be hit and miss with CPP parts.
BA. likes this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 09:20 PM

Super happy with control arms from global west. The bearing instead of bushing end for lower front and lower rears seems to work very well with the non standard suspension on the Impalas. Also like the front stabilizer bar that has no bushing. It keeps the flex out of the alignment during breaking and cornering. Price of poker to fix what GM created. 😝
camware likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 10:51 PM

I've been looking at kits for my 69 also. The problem with steering parts seems to be the center link, no kit seems to have it except for CPP, they also sell it on it's own. Others I have found online are unbranded.

Is it possible to press new ball joints into an old center link?

69 Impala Convertible - It's not perfect, but it's mine https://www.instagram.com/stedisgarage/
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Front end kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedi View Post
I've been looking at kits for my 69 also. The problem with steering parts seems to be the center link, no kit seems to have it except for CPP, they also sell it on it's own. Others I have found online are unbranded.

Is it possible to press new ball joints into an old center link?

I just ordered a Rare Parts center link as a number of the parts stores offer it as a special order top level center link. They wanted over $180 for it in store but I got it for about $134 on eBay or amazon. Same for the Idler arm.

I think Iíve decided to go ahead and go with the NAPA Chassis balljoints and tie rod ends as opposed to one of the kits. That way I know what quality Iím getting. Iíve heard nothing but good stuff about NAPA Chassis.

As far as pressing in new joints to the old center link I canít help on that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page