Coil spring retainer cups - question - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Coil spring retainer cups - question

I can't find coil spring retainer cups for 70 Impala wagon. I think nobody makes them.

I did find retainer cups for 60-72 Chevy truck. Does anybody know if they will fit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:02 PM

Aren't they just flat pieces of metal with a hole in the middle for the bolt?

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Aren't they just flat pieces of metal with a hole in the middle for the bolt?
Nope. They more like a bowl with a hole in the middle. Here is a picture for the ones I am looking at: http://www.gmcpauls.com/pictures/pcc...etainercup.jpg

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:29 PM

OK, But aren't they 2 pieces? The flat one on the bottom that the spring sits on and the cup piece on the inside of the spring with the bolt in the center.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
OK, But aren't they 2 pieces? The flat one on the bottom that the spring sits on and the cup piece on the inside of the spring with the bolt in the center.
Possible but I only need the cup ones. Mine are rotted.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 04:26 PM

The truck will have a higher GVW unless you are looking at the lightest truck that the factory made with five lug bolts and not six lugs that are often on an older truck (eight lugs are right out for older or newer trucks). Back in the sixties Chevy made two very light step side trucks to be used as a SUV as opposed to a truck. They had a lot of trim and bling and had a short bed that never saw a load. These trucks had five lug wheels and used a lot of parts that are interchangeable with the Impala. The factory offered another half ton truck that had six lug wheels and was actually a light truck for farm or construction use. The three quarter ton and one ton light truck were scaled down medium duty trucks using a live axel and were designed to carry heavy loads with ride comfort an after thought.

The way to see if the light duty half ton truck part fits is to look at a replacement spring for that truck and compare it with the part number for the Impala spring. If it is the same size spring (and it probably is except for the unloaded height of the spring or the number of coils) then the truck part will fit. I source a lot of my HD Impala parts for my car off of light trucks as Chevy uses as many parts that will interchange as can be possibly made to reduce their inventory.

Big Dave
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 07:00 PM

Garage
I got mine for my 66 at www.dvap.com Here is a picture of them, the are two pieces. here is a picture.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks for the link Paul. I just sent them a request. We'll see if they have them in stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page