66 Caprice disc brake conversion kit - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

66 Caprice disc brake conversion kit

Hey guys I’m looking to convert the drums on my 66 Caprice to disc brakes all around. I’m looking a few kits that seem to be decent, but I could use some advice.

The first kit is the Classic performance kit that comes with drop spindles for the front and the summit racing kit for the rear brakes. Both have good reviews on summit racing. Front and rear combined is around $1200.

The second kit is from Pirate Jack. This kit seems to be a combination of Wilwood and Chinese parts and costs around 1300 for the front and rear kit together. This kit does not lower the front end of the car but I could get lowering springs instead of this is the better kit.

So my question is which kit would be better build quality? Ease of install? More reliable? I also want to put some fairly large wheels 18’s front and possibly 20’s rear but maybe 18’s all around. I have seen others post these sizes on their 66 Impalas with no problem but I am worried about backspacing and want to make sure I don’t have any running before I purchase. This will be a pretty big project for me as I have never really worked on brakes before so I appreciate any help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EE89B9A7-59E9-4EE4-BEB3-196F5A4C1DCC_1590426868392.jpg (19.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg A787256F-70A9-4495-B897-8C2022CD4EAA_1590426895386.jpg (15.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 839EDDA0-09F5-46EC-A314-7C6B1A83159D_1590426953961.jpg (20.8 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 08:51 AM

Garage
I have these on all 4 wheels: KORE3 Industries LLC: On and Off-Road Performance Automotive Components

Tobin was great to work with and knows what he's doing.

1969 Impala convertible build thread here:
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ghlight=impala
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 05:49 PM
BA.

Kore makes good kits, no question there.

Wilwood makes a couple of kits too - but like Kore - you'll have to pay more.

I've heard of Pirate Jack several times, and never anything bad so - maybe that's a fair lower priced option.
I don't buy CPP stuff and am wary of retailers with kits (like Summit) because when stuff doesn't go right - do you think you'll get in touch with a guy who really knows how to help?

Another lower cost option you may consider is acquiring parts from a C3 Vette. There are threads on here about it, their spindle is the same as 69/70 Impala but then you need to get correct other parts. There's a thread somewhere about the right bits to get. I don't have it handy. This is a choice I am seriously considering with Wilwood a close 2nd. (and less work)

One other choice is The Right Stuff guys, website "getdiscbrakes.com". They have kits for the B-body but they sometimes are re-using your stock drum brake spindle, and some kits have the slightly smaller rotor from an A body or G body. Priced well, good kits and good for 14" or 15" wheels for sure.

You're issue is those big rims. that's a lot of open space to fill with a rotor to make it look decent. As you know, rotor size goes up, price goes up quickly too!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 07:57 AM

The first question is the intended use of the brakes.

For just street cruising a lot of people have good luck with some of the bargain kits available and while yes we all hate the cheap Chinese rotors and parts they tend to work. My biggest issue with the Chinese rotors is I have had to have most turned out of the box or I get that shake when I apply the brakes.

For Road course racing/driving your going to want big brake rotors. This gives them more surface area and that translates into better heat dissipation. When driving a road course or twisty road aggressively you tend to have your foot on the brake hard and frequently. You have to get rid of as much heat as possible between applications of the brake pedal. A lot of road course cars will also have special ducts to direct fresh air to the rotors. In my opinion Baer makes some good big rotor disc brake kits. Also be careful not to get really heavy rotors and calipers as this will affect the cars handling due to having more un-sprung mass. I am sure if your interested in the topic of un-sprung mass and a cars handling Big Dave can supply a lot of the science of it for automobiles. FYI this is why on independent rear ends a lot of manufacturers are moving the brake disks up next to the rear pumpkin and not out in the wheel.

For drag racing you want something light. Every pound you can remove means you can accelerate faster. The simple formula Force = Mass X Acceleration or Acceleration = Force/Mass tells me that the more mass I have the more force I will need to accelerate at a given rate. For all out drag cars the brakes only have to operate hard 2 times in a run. Once during burn out and once at the end of the track. They make special drag racing brake kits that have rotors turned to their minimum diameter, light weight calipers, and brake pads that only last for a night or two worth of passes. Those of us building Pro Street cars though have to come to a happy medium though as these cars are used on the street just as much if not more so than they are on the track.

1963 Impala Convertible (Frame off resto-mod in progress)
1963 Impala 2 door hardtop (Pro Street build in progress)
1963 Impala 4 door hardtop (Parts car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page