Brake booster question - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Brake booster question

I went from this
to this
Now I want to add a Brake booster.
What size brake booster will fit without hitting the valve covers?
9" dual brake booster or 11" dual brake booster
Also what size master cylinder bore should I be using?
1" or 1 1/8"
I have drum brakes on all 4 wheels now. NOT changing to disc brakes on front.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 02:41 PM

Leave the master cylinder alone (the only reason you would change over is to compensate for the different rod end on a manual versus a power brake system The Manual has a little dimple in the back , but the power brake has cup to hold the rod. There should be enough thread on the brake pedal rod to compensate for the difference in length (if not buy an aftermarket threaded adjustable brake pedal actuator rod).

The single eleven inch vacuum diaphragm should work just fine unless you have a lumpy, rough idling cam in your motor. The dual nine, or eight inch vacuum diaphragms are designed to accommodate tall deck big block engines with tall valve covers that eat up a lot of real estate under a hood and have ridiculous cams stuffed into the BBC motor such that it generates less than twelve inches of vacuum at idle.

Race cars use hand activated brakes that have a big spring to push the lever forward to quickly release the brakes and rely upon a parachute to drag the car back down from over two hundred miles per hour to eighty before you apply the brake lever again to slow the car down enough for the turn into the pit area. They don't use vacuum powered assist for their brakes so they can have as radical a cam as they want on a race car and not worry about street manners as they never drive on the street.

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 11:26 PM

Just remember that if you go too large on the booster diameter, you could have trouble getting your vavle cover off without unbolting the booster from the firewall. The 9" booster I have in my 64 allows for the valve cover to be removed.

Here is one for ya:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-...item3f0526648e

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285

Last edited by dcairns; 11-24-2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: added link

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Ad says 9" single diaphragm brake booster. I was thinking of maybe going with a dual 9". Looks like the 9" would clear the valve covers better.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 12:12 PM

There were two types of boosters offered in 64, probably the same in 63. Look at your shop manual. One is the Delco Moraine like I have, the other was Bendix. The Bendix is much thicker, but I don't know if it was dual diaphram.
Have you tried callin a supplier like ABS Brakes? They know this stuff and can point you in the right direction.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 01:54 AM

I got a kit from SSBC with a 9 inch booster and I had to go to stock height valve covers due to the booster almost hitting the tall covers and breather (about a 1/4inch clearance, was no way I could get the cover off with the booster on) I have Vortec heads and I have to leave the last bolt in loose to pull the cover off, I cant pull the last bolt out it hits the booster. Probably not a issue with old style covers though.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 02:04 AM

if you wanna see pics let me know, I cant figure out how to upload them on here lol
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I have SBC 350 with tall valve covers and 8" dual booster. Fits no problem with enough clearance to pull the valve covers. If you need picture, PM me and I will post it here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page