Air ride in 1964 Impala, custom managment. - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Air ride in 1964 Impala, custom managment.

Hi everyone,

I just ordered a basic level 1 analog Air Ride Technologies package. Going with the CoolRide setup, 5 gallon tank, 2 pumps, Big Red valves.

That isn't the whole story though. The plan is to build a custom management system. That means the computer, software and controller for it. Will be running at least pressure sensors, but maybe also ride height sensors.

The plan is to use an Arduino Uno prototyping board as the main platform, it has enough inputs and outputs needed and is cheap ($29). The interface is simple and it can be programmed over a serial connection to a computer. Potential things I might play around with is IR sensors and Bluetooth connectivity, to be able to communicate with the controller without wires.

To be able to build a touch display controller, I have basically two options, setting up a BeagleBoard (think laptop performance) with a touch display, but I am leaning into using a regular smartphone. That means I will be able to use pretty much any Android based smartphone to control my system.

I will try and post progress as I go forward.

Comments? Thoughts? Ideas?

/M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 07:26 PM

Well the first thing that comes to mind is a kid with a cell phone hi-jacking or Low Jacking the car while you are driving down the street as his signal causes your car to drop from cruise height to sparkler on the interstate. Radio Shack sells a synthetic crystal hand radio that can hear and transmit on every known frequency (I had one to listen to ground control back when I used to fly as it was cheaper than a second dedicated radio built into the air plane). I am sure there are other radio frequency generators around that migh initiate a programed responce (lightning maybe?).

Big Dave
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 11:00 PM

BlueTooth have measures to prevent that sort of thing from happening. What I find amazing is the processing power in that micro controller. Would have been an amazing desktop power PC back in the early 90's.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

With bluetooth there would be no such problems. When you connect bluetooth components there is a pairing sequence which enables a security for unwanted connections. And even if they would connect, there is no simple frequency or code to send, I will be sending specific messages in a bytestream over this connection. If I do try out some simpler IR senders/sensors, this is easy to capture and try to manipulate. Just as easy as programming a new remote control to your tv, kinda. But sure it would not be a fun thing to suddenly get slammed going 65 on the freeway. I will definetly be thinking about edge cases, where **** might hit the fan, and try do design for that.

Arduino Uno is on its way, Ride Tech stuff should be sent middle of the week. I will be back home at the end of the week, but as it was my birthday last week, I got a really fun bday present from my brother. Going to do 15 laps in a Nascar. They are saying it is a proper race car with approx. 550+ hp. We will see. That is a Stockton Raceway. :-) Will be capturing it with two cameras in the car.

Thanks for the comments, anyone with experience with Arduinos or air bags on 64 Impalas?

/M
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 11:25 PM

I am really looking forward to seeing how this works out. I am planning on putting air ride on our '62, so it will be neat seeing someone throw this sort of twist at it. Always interested in new technology being used in older cars. Good luck with this project.

James
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Recieved the Arduino Uno board today and the ART stuff will be arriving on tuesday.

I will get some pics on the Arduino. So you guys can see what I am working with, it is fairly small.

/M
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 07:33 PM

Get your air ride stuff? Very interested in the pics of the Arduino.

James

1962 Impala 2-Door
1995 Saturn SC2 S/C
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Yes I did get most of the stuff yesterday. But I am missing the Big Red valves and the second compressor, a little bummed but it was backordered so I am hoping it will be arriving soon.

I will post some pics later tonight. I am still working on both electrics design and programming. The latter part is easy as that is what I work with. Electronics was a while back and mostly theory, but I am sure it will all come back to me.

If you have any questions or so let me know.

Oh. does anyone know the better way of routing the air lines in the frame/under the body? Thought I saw someone route it through the frame in a neat way.

/M
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Here we go...

ART kit minus valves and second compressor.

Little Arduino

/M
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:10 PM

That processor looks almost identical to the one that's in my Standalone ECU in my Saturn. I am running a MegaSquirt that uses a Motorola processor to control all the fuel and eventually ignition timing. Does it come built like that, or do you build it yourself?

Oh, and which kit is that from ART? Still doing my research to see which kit we are gonna go with on our car.

James

1962 Impala 2-Door
1995 Saturn SC2 S/C
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeSL2 View Post
That processor looks almost identical to the one that's in my Standalone ECU in my Saturn. I am running a MegaSquirt that uses a Motorola processor to control all the fuel and eventually ignition timing. Does it come built like that, or do you build it yourself?

Oh, and which kit is that from ART? Still doing my research to see which kit we are gonna go with on our car.

James
I have been wanting to build a MegaSquirt also. Not sure what processor they are running, I think it might be running at a higher speed to be capable of handling the really short durations needed to run high rpms. (checked and they range from 8 Mhz (MS I) to 50 Mhz (MS III). The Arduino Uno is running a Atmega328 8 bit processor from Atmel, running at 16 Mhz.

You can get kits and build the Arduino in many shapes and sizes. I just bought this like you see it for USD $25.

The ART kit is the basic level 1 Cool Ride kit for Impalas (1959-1964).
http://www.ridetech.com/store/suspen...a-level-1.html
And upgrading with 5 gallon tank, dual compressors and the bigger 3/8" "Big Red" valves.

I wanted to freshen up the trunk before I started this, so tonight the stripper disc and wire brushes did their job, got a spatter spray kit that will do the job after that. The trunk is in super condition as far as rust, but I thought why not do it now. Not gonna bother later.

1 hour of work

/M

Last edited by ArenaSwe; 04-02-2011 at 04:25 AM. Reason: added image
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 02:11 PM

That's awesome man. Seems like you have really done your research. The trunk looks hot. Definitely going to be sweet when you finish it up.

James

1962 Impala 2-Door
1995 Saturn SC2 S/C
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Minimal progress, just getting ready collecting all the small things I will need.

Trunk all cleaned up and ready for paint (tomorrow most likely) and I got a baseplate cut in black ABS plastic ( $20 USD), gonna make it similar to an Airpod where it is all mounted, then I just need to put the whole thing in with less screws in the trunk.

Still waiting for second compressor and valves.

/M
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Got the second compressor, still waiting for valves and some other small stuff.

Meanwhile I have finished the trunk and also creating my own Air Pod style base plate for easy installment and less holes in my trunk. Also routed some power from the battery to the trunk. While I was at it I notices some moist still in my carpet (leaking heater core). So I ripped out the interior and the heater core. Gonna make sure there is no rust and put some rust inhibitor on there and then put sound deadening mats on there. Did it in the Nova and it make a lot of difference.

post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 09:15 PM

That air setup looks hot man. Trunk looks really good too.

James

1962 Impala 2-Door
1995 Saturn SC2 S/C
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Sprayed some black dye on the back of the seats, really helps outs for the overall visual look.

Got my new heater core to replace the leaking one.

Thought I would get all that moist out, and make sure there is no rust. Which there pretty much wasn't. That rust like stuff is paint.

Another shot.

I run my trusty stripper disc and wire brush to clean it up in some spots. Then some rustoleum.

And to get the car quite...

A bonus pic, pretty cool. Perfect for a desktop background.

I also made a new trunk partition, a bit thicker and more sounds proofing I am hoping.

Still waiting for the valves, they are delayed. :-(
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 02:18 PM

Cool project. I would stick with ride height sensors though because pressure will be change in each corner depending on where you are parking. The repetitive height will always be the same.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodhomi View Post
Cool project. I would stick with ride height sensors though because pressure will be change in each corner depending on where you are parking. The repetitive height will always be the same.
I will look into the ride height sensors later on, I should be able to make my own ride height sensors maybe, or just buy the ridetech ones and use them. I agree with everything you said. The ridetech setups use both air pressure and height sensor.

/M
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 02:27 PM

You are setting the bar pretty high man. I am gonna have a lot of work to do to make the wife's car look this good. I love it. Keep the pics coming.

James

1962 Impala 2-Door
1995 Saturn SC2 S/C
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 12:06 AM
BA.

Lookin' good man - I like the controller board idea.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:38 AM

Looks good ArenaSwe! I have a 67 and was considering doing the airbag system but, have really been looking at the Complete CoilOver System from RideTech. What are the Pros and Cons? Anyone can jump in.

1967 Chevy Impala 4 dr hrd tp...
post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hintonl View Post
Looks good ArenaSwe! I have a 67 and was considering doing the airbag system but, have really been looking at the Complete CoilOver System from RideTech. What are the Pros and Cons? Anyone can jump in.
It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. bags can handle as good as coil overs but offer a cool fashion statement when parked. Coilovers are more repeatable, but are not easily adjusted. What are your plans for the car once its "finished"?
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodhomi View Post
It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. bags can handle as good as coil overs but offer a cool fashion statement when parked. Coilovers are more repeatable, but are not easily adjusted. What are your plans for the car once its "finished"?
I second that. The "coilovers" are traditional coilovers, the bags add the fun factor of getting the stance just the way you want it. A real low slow riding look or stock ride height or slammed when parked. To answer the last question for my project, it is that I want a real good ride (adding some swaybars to solidify that later on) and the adjust-ability in ride height for the style factor. Its not going to be a auto cross Impala ;-)
post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:35 AM

Well gents, i really want to Pro-touring look and handling. The only company i've found so, that makes the kit for my year and model (67 Impala) is RideTech. Do you gents have anything else or better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArenaSwe View Post
I second that. The "coilovers" are traditional coilovers, the bags add the fun factor of getting the stance just the way you want it. A real low slow riding look or stock ride height or slammed when parked. To answer the last question for my project, it is that I want a real good ride (adding some swaybars to solidify that later on) and the adjust-ability in ride height for the style factor. Its not going to be a auto cross Impala ;-)

1967 Chevy Impala 4 dr hrd tp...
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hintonl View Post
Well gents, i really want to Pro-touring look and handling. The only company i've found so, that makes the kit for my year and model (67 Impala) is RideTech. Do you gents have anything else or better?
I've never used them, but I found this.
http://www.airassisted.ca/us/product...oducts_id=1171
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page