Impalas.net banner

rear upper arms?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  chevman66 
#1 ·
I have a 64 impala and was wondering if anyone has added a second upper control arm in the rear? I have a single bar car and want to add the second.

#2 ·
Yes it is a very common upgrade. You need to find the part off of another donor car as the mounting bracket is not reproduced.

The rear control arms are made by many aftermarket vendors and I recommend them over the stock stamped steel piece. The stock part can be made as strong as an aftermarket piece by welding on a piece of flat steel to the bottom of the open channel and replacing the worn out rubber bushings (which are rotted and oblong by now) with polyurethane plastic bushings.

Big Dave

#4 ·
Well I am going to build my own bracket with the measurements from the original. I am going to buy the adjustable upper arm so no shims required. I was also thinking about adding a plate on the back side of the crossmember then bending a piece of pipe to the plate that goes towards the Xmember.

#5 ·
Hello,

Yes we do have the bracket that mounts to the chassis side of the car for adding the 2nd upper control arm, part # is 3660 and it can be seen here- www.umiperformance.com/3660

We also have the adjustable upper control available seen here- www.umiperformance.com/3652

We just finished the mounting bracket for the rear end to weld to the axle tube but unfortunately it is for 65-70.

If you have any questions please let me know. Thanks!
Ryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.