x frame problems - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

x frame problems

Hey guys I am new and just wanted to say great site! I am somewhat new to this car and doing a frame off resto for a friend of mine. Things have been going well until now. The car is a 1964 impala convertible. The frame is rotted and slightly bent. We have located a 1964 biscayne 4 door which has an excellent frame under it. It seems the convertible frame was reinforced with thick steel top and bottom from the firewall to the rear wheel arch area. The frame on the biscayne does not have these plates. It seems since this is a convertible that those plates are nessasary. Is the biscayne frame the same other than the plates. If it will fit then I will take the plates off the rotted frame and reweld them on the biscayne frame. Does this sound like the way to go? I doubt im going to be able to find a clean convertible frame anywhere. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 10:05 AM

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 06:35 AM

Check out this members pictures, he shows in detail how to fix the frame.
http://www.impalas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=686

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 03:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 348-4speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited1320 View Post
Hey guys I am new and just wanted to say great site! I am somewhat new to this car and doing a frame off resto for a friend of mine. Things have been going well until now. The car is a 1964 impala convertible. The frame is rotted and slightly bent. We have located a 1964 biscayne 4 door which has an excellent frame under it. It seems the convertible frame was reinforced with thick steel top and bottom from the firewall to the rear wheel arch area. The frame on the biscayne does not have these plates. It seems since this is a convertible that those plates are nessasary. Is the biscayne frame the same other than the plates. If it will fit then I will take the plates off the rotted frame and reweld them on the biscayne frame. Does this sound like the way to go? I doubt im going to be able to find a clean convertible frame anywhere. Thanks guys!

The convertible frame has two extra body mounts as well. Good Luck
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 11:24 PM

the frame will work with the reinforced straps off the orig.frame. and while your doing that you might consider adding the left side upper controll arm to the rear susp. you'll be glad you did!! that's what im in the middle of doing now with my 59 convertable.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 11:52 PM
BA.

poor ol' Unlimited1320 hasn't been 'round here since Dec. 2007. Yup. 17 months.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 10:27 AM

X Men

Your 'X' Frame will now become a mutant. Bwahahaha
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 06:29 PM

Hello All,

Been gone for awhile and I'm looking for some x-frame experts on a 1963 Impala. The question is; do you think i need to add reinforcement to the x-frame to handle the HP? The engine is a SB 350/500HP. My sense is if it can handle a 409 ack in the day what's the diff but, I'm no expert on x-frames so I thought I would get some expert advice on this one.

Thanks in avance for any input.

msp177
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 06:39 PM

If you have access to a computer or TV check out PowerBlockTV as they are reruning Project Red Sled on their Muscle car series start to finish this weekend. 1961 bubble top two door that they stripped down to the bare frame and rstified it .

Starting with the frame itself; they reinforced it with one eigth inch sheet stock and then they added the convertible frame peices to their stock frame to handle a 526 horsepower 409 (that actually was displacing 486 cubic inches).

Big Dave
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 06:51 PM

Thanks Dave, I caught that episode but I think the reinforcing is more for the air lift/hydros and suspension...the HP is an added benefit. I can't imagine the 409 back in the day was under 400hp anyway and cheverolet probably made the x-frame strong enough to handle 2x the HP.

Any thoughts or specs on the strength of the x-frame?

Thanks,
Msp177
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 07:13 PM

As they mentioned on the show GM designed the frame to flex in an effort to get their advertised "Jet Smooth Ride"; GM was out of racing and didn't care about horsepower any more which is why the SS package became a trim level and not a performance option.

I have pictures of just how much the body will twist if you were to race it. They added the full 18 inches of added metal and the rear frame reinforcement was done to compensate for the quarter inch longer stroke's added torque.

Big Dave
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 07:25 PM

I get it! Do you think I'm going to have frame probelms with 500HP max? I'm building the car for the street not racing. What are your thoughts?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 07:52 PM

No it will not break in two if that is what you are worrying about. The frame being flexable results in a smooth ride but a also enforces a complete lack of control of your suspension.

Race cars with space frames are so rigid you can jack up one corner of the car and it behaves like your childs toy car a solid block with little or no deflection any where. You need this rigidity if things like brakes and sway bars and rear control arms to control the rear end will work in a straight fashion. Other wise your body flexes to induce wheel hop when accelerating or braking hard and there isn'y anything you can do to stop it because there isn't a frame solid enough to offer resistance to flexing.

Big Dave
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 08:06 PM

Good analysis! You know dragsters flex alot and rarely break. I guess we are good. Just wanted to make sure the twist didn't mean permanent. I can live with a little flex for street rodding and such. If you have any other pointers please pass them along.

Thanks,
Msp177
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 08:37 PM

Dave,

If you have pictures please pass them along. I'd be interested in seeing everything you have on x-frames.

Thanks,
msp177
Mike
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 09:18 AM

Mr. 409 on launch. Notice the difference to the ground between the left front and the right front wheel. That is frame flex.

For comparison here is a car that had no original frame at all, but was strengthened with a full tube frame.

It is lifting straight up and driving straight ahead (which is a good thing because he can not see where he is going with the wheels up).

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page