'66 Disc brake upgrade - hub and caliper question - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
BA.

'66 Disc brake upgrade - hub and caliper question

I really hate to create another thread on brake upgrades, but, after days of reading I'm ready to start ordering parts I think.

My car is a non-power, 4-wheel drum car so I need ALL the parts.
In searching Ebay, i see plenty of used (68-82) Vette spindles going for $50-$80 to kick things off.
Some even have the HUB and some the Steering knuckle/arm.

Can I use the hub and just put some new bearings in it?
Does that change what rotor I would use? (noting that others (yes you Larry) have used the REAR Vette rotors on their Impala hubs.
If I use use a Vette hub, I'd presume I use the normal Vette front rotor?
What then about the Calipers???
Would the cheaper single pistons from 1970 work or would the front rotors require me to use the normal Vette 2 piston caliper? (more expensive!)

One last question on the steering knuckle thing, some Ebay Vette spindles come with their stock steering knuckle, can we use that on the Impala, or do we have to get a 69-70 knuckle? (assuming they are available)

Whew.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	impala brake parts list.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	3577  

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

Last edited by BA.; 08-09-2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: stupid site file restrictions/compression
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 07:43 PM

This is from what I have read from the dozens or so posts asking this question, so hopefully all of my neurons are still firing on this issue and I haven't forgotten something.

Can I use the hub and just put some new bearings in it?

Yes you can if you are using the Corvette Steering knuckle.

Does that change what rotor I would use? (noting that others (yes you Larry) have used the REAR Vette rotors on their Impala hubs.

Rear rotor would be used with the Impala steering Knuckle.

If I use use a Vette hub, I'd presume I use the normal Vette front rotor?
What then about the Calipers???
Would the cheaper single pistons from 1970 work or would the front rotors require me to use the normal Vette 2 piston caliper? (more expensive!)

No you can not use Corvette rotors with the single piston caliper off of the eighties model of G-body that every one sells as a brake conversion. You have a thicker 12 inch rotor that the caliper will not fit over. You have to use the more expensive FOUR piston Corvette caliper. (The two piston PBR or Brembo caliper won't fit on the earlier Corvette rotors because they are too thin, they are designed for an even thicker, larger diameter brake rotor of 13 to 14 inches).

One last question on the steering knuckle thing, some Ebay Vette spindles come with their stock steering knuckle, can we use that on the Impala, or do we have to get a 69-70 knuckle? (assuming they are available).

You can use the Corvette front steering knuckle but you have to change the bolt on steering arm to fit the Impala, (the Corvette one won't work). The Impala steering arm will bolt in place of the old Corvette arm, so that is an easy swap.

Big Dave
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
BA.

Thanks for the correction on the 2/4 piston caliper statement.

I'm probably over-thinking things, but, the problem with the Internet is the MIS-information out there. I swear to you I just read 2 separate threads on this topic elsewhere, both using the Vette hub, and one said use the Impala knuckle, and the other thread said to use the Vette knuckle.

In thinking about it, I presume the correct path is to simply use the knuckle for your hub. That will allow for proper placement of the outer tie-rod end hole due to the placement of the hub/rotor combo. Easy enough.

The 4 piston route sounds more confusing, and certainly more costly so I should probably just forget about that.

My last concern is about a drag link and the idler arm. There was one thread (not here) that mentioned I needed different ones than my stock setup. sheesh. Didn't see that mentioned anywhere else though so I'm hoping it's just more mis-information.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
BA.

I just realized that I've been assuming that I cannot re-use my drum brake hub.
Would that be correct?

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 12:59 AM

Corvette rear disc on factory 68 drum hub

Last edited by 68imp; 06-09-2014 at 11:35 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 06:26 AM

BA, I used 69 Impala disc brakes on the 65. Single piston. I have heard that the early Vettes used the same spindle, also that the drum hub 67-70 will work. Don't know about 65-66 hubs. I also had to use the 69 steering arms. The rear Vette rotors work very well. Call me if I can be of any help.
John, in the photo your calipers look to be mounted to the rear. Mine are mounted to the front.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
BA.

Thanks guys - I can see if I can do some part number cross-referencing on the hub.

I think my curiosity stems from hearing that the 69-70 Imp and 69-82 Vette spindle had a bigger bearing than our 65-66 drum brake cars. (bigger spindle shaft) That thought made me wonder about the hub.
See how I think too much?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 02:53 PM

I went with the CPP Big Brake Kit for my 66, $1582 including shipping and included front/rear kit and new brake lines/E-brake cables... even got a free t-shirt

Should have them installed within the next couple of weeks. Good luck
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 11:32 AM

Garage
Hello!

I would like to buy a disc brakes convertion for my '66 to replace front drums. I think about Wilwood brakes with 12.19" rotors. They said that's compatible "with most 15" rims" but is It sure?
I've got 15" Rally Wheels (from Corvette I think), any one install this kit? Really compatible with my configurartion?

Thanks for your help.

'66 Impala
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 12:05 PM

I don't know about Willwood's system but GM used a 12 rotor with 15 inch wheels on a lot of the big Chevy cop cars. I had 12 rotors up front on my '85 and my '89 running 15 inch wheels.

Big Dave
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 10:28 PM

Here's a pic of the CPP kit on the front of my 66. I went with the larger disc brake kit which requires 17"+ wheels. Overall, very happy. came with a set of aluminum hubs, and used my stock spindles.

Good luck.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 06:13 AM

Garage
Does anyone know the Brake drum register diameter - Hub Diameter for 10 bolt 8.2" rear end?

'66 Impala
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page