Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:08 PM

Garage
CPP 0 offset disc brake kit for 1965 - 1968 Impalas - 6568WBK-S0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 08:41 PM

Hello again....lots of questions in restoraing 65 Impala. Added dics brakes to front. Used cpp two yrs ago on another 65 Impala. Could not maintain enough vacumn (only12'') this was with a stock solid cam on 425hp 396.

Added extra vacumn canister and electric pump...still took extreme pressure on pedal to stop. Took the system off and back to drum brakes. Want to try again on the next 65 Impala and add disc to front....again but have heard about ''Hydroboost''. I don't know how involved it is. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Back in 1965 many BB cars came from the factory with power disc brakes. Many of these cars had solid lifter camshafts that would not produce 15-18'' of vacumn as required. So....how did they get buy back in the day with power disc brakes? thanks for help and advise ....Elmo
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 11:54 PM

Howdy...not sure how to use this great Impala form. Keep coming back to where I last visited to see results.

Question: Where can I send stainless trim parts and moldings to be straightened and polished. Maybe someplace close to Montana. Thanks Elmo

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 11:05 AM

Hyrdoboost just uses the power steering pump to add pressure to power brakes instead of Vacuum booster from engine vacuum.

My old 85-87 BMWs use Hydroboost for braking. I believe most GM guys use the Hydro boost from a 90s Chevy Astro Van.

Just google GM Hydroboost.

Forums are great tools, use a PC or laptop to view instead of a phone, makes life easier.

If you go to the index below you can add questions in the correct topic.

https://www.impalas.net/forums/

https://www.impalas.net/forums/8-restoration-corner/

Ted

Last edited by brickwhite; 01-21-2020 at 08:31 AM.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 05:15 PM

Drum brakes operate on 750 psi. Disc brakes require two to four times that amount of line pressure to work.

Any GM diesel powered vehicle will use a HydraBoost because diesels do not have any manifold vacuum. If you have no manifold vacuum because you have a cam too big for the street you will need a HydraBoost to have power assist brakes. I prefer manual brakes, and manual steering (Saginaw 525, Corvair or a Vega gear box) on my race cars.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page