66 Impala wheel question - Impala Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits?

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

66 Impala wheel question

Sorry guys, another one of those damn wheels size questions. I'm thinking of having a change from the 8x15" Rallyes. Just want to be able to change the look of my ride for a year or so, then change back if I'm sick of the look.
I'd like to fit 20" Coddington Junkyard Dogs all round. I was thinking of 8" front and 10" rears. Does anyone know if I can fit a 20" x 10" wheel on the rear of a 66 impala coupe? If so, what sort of tyre size and wheel backspace etc if you happen to know? All info appreciated, thanks in advance.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 08:44 AM

Well my standard answer to "another one of those damn wheels size questions" is the same every time. Buy a tool that lets you KNOW if a certain combination of wheel width and back spacing with a given tire profile will work before you buy it. I should get a commission from selling these things.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/php-01201

You will have to visit a brick and mortar tire store to wrap your piece of coat hanger wire around a tire on display up front or one brought out from the store room to verify the tire size.

Since I used to buy so many tires; my local Tire Rack dealer at Tire Kingdom allowed me to run free in his ware house pulling tires and making impressions of the different tire sizes I was interested in (he even ordered in tires that he didn't have from other stores for me to check in hope of making another sale). I had temporary masking tape "tags" to identify the tire size and used a Sharpie pen to write the size on the wire's tag. When I got home I made permanent legible tags with a P-touch label maker and attached them to the wire profile.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page