What's the biggest wheel I can fit under an Impala - Impala Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits?

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jayoldschool

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

What's the biggest wheel I can fit under an Impala

On Friday I looked at a friend's 1967 Impala Sedan. I decided I am going to buy it. I went down and applied for a personal loan. While I'm waiting for that to go through I have been scouring the depths of the internet but I have yet to find any information on this. It has 13" good Dayton's on it and they aren't coming with the car, and frankly they are not my style anyways. When the car is all the way down, it lays frame. I'm the kind of guy that likes vehicles laying on the ground with big wheels with huge lips. Does anybody know the biggest size wheels I can fit under a laid out 67 without having to do tubs?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170922_140228_1506290782645.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	18753  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 07:22 PM

8.5 front 10" rear is no problem if you get your offset correct. Tire width and height will be important as well, of course.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 04:14 PM

Garage
I am running 20x8 front and 20x9.5 rear, 0 offset on both. 275/35 rear 245/35 front. I'm planning on running taller tires in the future, these came on the wheels when I bought them on CL. My car is bagged and I can lay frame with 13's but not with 20's. In the picture is laid out as low as it can go.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 10:54 PM

thank you everyone!

How tall can I go?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 03:41 PM

Where is the best place to buy steel wheels? Also, if I were to buy a 15x8 rim, what backspacing should I go with?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 04:07 PM

Almost all wheels are neutral. That means the hub is in the middle of the wheel so an eight inch wheel would have four inches of back spacing (give or take an eighth of an inch). As far as Chevrolets go the only steel wheel that is eight inches wide was used on the Corvette and is a Kelsey-Hayes rally wheel. You can buy rally wheels from four and a half inches wide to ten inches wide.

In the south wheel rights pass out business cards at every roundy-round race because they are always in demand. A wheel right can cut apart a standard steel wheel and reweld it in any width you might want with any back spacing. They don't last long on the track because that is the function of roundy-round racing, wrecking cars. If there were no wrecks no one would show up.

Big Dave
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 05:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstang01 View Post
Where is the best place to buy steel wheels? Also, if I were to buy a 15x8 rim, what backspacing should I go with?
15x8 should have 4.5" backspacing. Steel wheels are probably cheapest at Summit Racing.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
lol, I thought you wanted a big wheel. 15x8 was big... in 1967.
craig32 likes this.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 12:27 PM

To see if this size tire and wheel will fit:

[/URL]

You need either this professional tool made of die cast aluminum:

If you don't want to spend nearly two grand for the fitment tool used above; you can buy this consumer (hobbyist) version of the above professional one made of plastic and uses a wire coat hanger for a tire:

I have had mine for years and I went to my local tire shop and formed a hand full of coat hangers to match a lot of the common sized tires requested by my customers to be mounted on their cars. They hung on my shop wall all marked with a label denoting the size of the tire profile, which generated a lot of questions as to what they were for.

Measuring is the only way you will know what will fit your car. No one who tells you on line "yes big by huge fits my car" will pay your mounting charges if the tire and wheel that fits his modified car won't fit your car. Many tire shops have this professional device that models a custom wheel to see if your wheel choice will work with your tire choice; but they charge for it's use.

That is why I tell everybody to buy this tool.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...1201/overview/

Big Dave
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
lol, I thought you wanted a big wheel. 15x8 was big... in 1967.

lol, well big compared to the 235s that are on it now!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 02:41 PM

Garage
I've got 285-40-R18 on the back and 245-45-R17 on the front with no issues.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 10:18 PM
BA.

Quote:
Stockton Wheel or Coker tire sell special width steel wheels.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the replies! I completely forgot I made this post! I was getting ready to buy some wheels, but the first time I drove the car the engine seized up, so I've been trying to sort that out! Turns out there was a huge hole in the oil pan and I spun a few bearings after I put a quart and a half of oil in it. But my dad had some old rusty Cragar SS mags that I polished up and will make work until I can afford the wheels I want!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2017-10-16_12-02-39_1514879236333.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	19537  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 06:26 AM

Those polished up nicely!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67SS View Post
I am running 20x8 front and 20x9.5 rear, 0 offset on both. 275/35 rear 245/35 front. I'm planning on running taller tires in the future, these came on the wheels when I bought them on CL. My car is bagged and I can lay frame with 13's but not with 20's. In the picture is laid out as low as it can go.
About how far off the ground is it with the 20's?That's the route I wanted to go with mine. The more I've been thinking about it, it might be better to not have the oil and tranny pan laying on the ground anymore.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 05:51 PM

A 14 inch wheel was stock for your car; but the same outside tire diameter existed with a 15 inch wheel (used with disc brakes). The same thing happened for the three years that the factory flirted with 16 inch wheels before switching over to 17 inch wheels (18 inch on the Corvette). In every case there is a tire that matches the 14 inch original tire's diameter so that the car sits at the same height. It ls has the same outside size so that your speedometer works, and the wheels and tires fit in the wheel wells.

What changes as the wheel diameter increases is that the height of the side wall shrinks and the ride gets worse as the side walls can not flex.

This is true for the twenty inch wheels and tires that fit on my pick-up as well. They are much taller than a twenty inch car wheel and tire, but they are the same outside diameter as the 16.5 inch wheel that this combo replaced on a pick-up. So if you put a 20 inch tire off of a pick-up truck on a 20 car wheel you couldn't get it in the wheel well as it is a foot taller than a car tire.

Big Dave
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 01:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyB4free View Post
About how far off the ground is it with the 20's?That's the route I wanted to go with mine. The more I've been thinking about it, it might be better to not have the oil and tranny pan laying on the ground anymore.
Sorry, it's been awhile. I couldn't tell you how far of the ground is the car with 20's since mine is bagged. The lowest point on my car is my exhaust so I'm not worried about about oil and tranny pans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page