Need new wheels - Impala Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits?

1Likes
  • 1 Post By dcairns

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Need new wheels

My tires and wheels have seen better days. Currently they are 225/70/14. Can I go 255/60/15 and what rim width and backspacing will fit my factory suspension? TY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 10:48 PM

Garage
I have a set of Diamond Back III 245/60 R14 tires on my 64. These are basically TA Radials with a white wall vulcanized on them. Keeps the stock look with good grip. Tires that wide require 7-8.5 inch wide wheels. I have 14x7 wheels. ***I think*** they have a 3.75 inch backspacing. Best to measure with a tool to see how things clear. Keep in mind, I have the stock drum brakes, disk brake conversions can move the tires further out in front.

Of course if you don't care about white walls, you have more and cheaper options in tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5140.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	23362  
62BillT likes this.

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 08:32 AM

What Car?

Ted

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 09:25 AM

Garage
tapeworm has a 64 Impala 2 door. Probably should put a picture of your Impala in your profile, tapeworm

https://www.impalas.net/forums/30-we...w-me-64-a.html

Oh, by the way, the 245/60 R14 spare just barely fits!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2258.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	23364  

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapeworm View Post
My tires and wheels have seen better days. Currently they are 225/70/14. Can I go 255/60/15 and what rim width and backspacing will fit my factory suspension? TY
What you have (tire size) is plenty for the handling ability of the OEM suspension. Larger (wider) will fit, but it would only change the 'look'; which may be your goal.

I've attached a pic of my '63 with 215/70/15r black walls on Cragar SS (direct drilled; not 'omni-fit') wheels. It has a 'look' of a car from the mid/late '60s owned by a 'kid' (me at the time). The thin (approx 1" wide) white wall tires, with the OEM wheel covers was very common among the 'Dads'. The 'thin' red line tires were mostly Pontiacs. Just history.

I have drum brakes all around. Disc brakes reduce fade from retained heat, typically produced from racing, pulling a trailer, or lots of very hilly driving. I do not drive my 63 like that. If you plan on disc brakes, you may want to plan all that out before buying wheels/tires. Moving the center of gravity outboard from the OEM position may produce unintended OEM suspension issues.

I purposely did not want more rear wheel traction (wider tires) because I have a '383' sb with a 4 speed. When I 'spin' the tires, I want the tires to 'spin'; not break parts.

Just trying to be helpful.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0430.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	23368  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by japete92 View Post
What you have (tire size) is plenty for the handling ability of the OEM suspension. Larger (wider) will fit, but it would only change the 'look'; which may be your goal.

I've attached a pic of my '63 with 215/70/15r black walls on Cragar SS (direct drilled; not 'omni-fit') wheels. It has a 'look' of a car from the mid/late '60s owned by a 'kid' (me at the time). The thin (approx 1" wide) white wall tires, with the OEM wheel covers was very common among the 'Dads'. The 'thin' red line tires were mostly Pontiacs. Just history.

I have drum brakes all around. Disc brakes reduce fade from retained heat, typically produced from racing, pulling a trailer, or lots of very hilly driving. I do not drive my 63 like that. If you plan on disc brakes, you may want to plan all that out before buying wheels/tires. Moving the center of gravity outboard from the OEM position may produce unintended OEM suspension issues.

I purposely did not want more rear wheel traction (wider tires) because I have a '383' sb with a 4 speed. When I 'spin' the tires, I want the tires to 'spin'; not break parts.

Just trying to be helpful.

Pete
Thank you. I like the look of a little more rim and a little less sidewall.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcairns View Post
tapeworm has a 64 Impala 2 door. Probably should put a picture of your Impala in your profile, tapeworm

https://www.impalas.net/forums/30-we...w-me-64-a.html

Oh, by the way, the 245/60 R14 spare just barely fits!
A couple pics have been added.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page