New member / 62 impala tires & rims - Impala Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits?

1Likes
  • 1 Post By dcairns

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

New member / 62 impala tires & rims

Hi guys, Im a new member as of today. I have a 62 Impala that was in family for years. I had it sitting for the past 25 years. I just started to work on it to get it running. I wish to know what is the biggest tire and rims that I can install with the proper back space to be able to fit . I do not want to go with anything more than a 15'' rim. I do not want to do that plus sizing thing. See my overall goal is to stuff the absolute tallest and widest tires in the rear , and a good size in the front. I want it to look correct for 1962. I want it to look like it was a weekend drag racer and a daily driver from 1962. I have additional work to do to it to make it look that way, but this is my start. I don't want to but 30 different tires and rims to try on. I spent 99.00 for a plastic back space gauge from summit, and its way to confusing. Any size info would be great, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 02:57 PM

Welcome to the Team!

Back in the day racers took their stock 14 inch wheels to a welding shop that worked with roundy-round cars (common in the South) and had a one inch to four inch piece welded in behind the hub so you retained the factory wheel off set and the tire was moved in board away from the outer lip of the fender. Added plus you retained your full wheel covers for driving on the street (though NHRA wouldn't let you keep them in place to drag race) which is why all old drag race pictures show S/S class cars with steel stock looking wheels.

Of course back in the day you had a choice of a recaped car or truck tires with a pie crust slick. And even then the 15" inch wheel gave you a much better selection by widening a stock 15 inch wheel off a police car or a station wagon.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/C...yABEgKyQfD_BwE

The white walls gave away the recapped part, though thrse are brand new DOT legal tires from Coker (which makes them expensive).

or a "real" slick made by M&H. They still make M&M Racemaster slicks today, but there are few choices for a 14 inch wheel:

https://www.jegs.com/i/M-H/676/MVD-006/10002/-1

https://www.jegs.com/i/M-H/676/MSS-002/10002/-1

Big Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 02:57 PM

I had H-70 14's on 14 x 6 Deep Dish Chrome Reverse Wheels on the back of my '62. Everyone could not believe how wide they were back then in the early '70's. An equivalent of a G-70 would also do. I ran F-70's in the Front.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysurf View Post
Hi guys, Im a new member as of today. I have a 62 Impala that was in family for years. I had it sitting for the past 25 years. I just started to work on it to get it running. I wish to know what is the biggest tire and rims that I can install with the proper back space to be able to fit . I do not want to go with anything more than a 15'' rim. I do not want to do that plus sizing thing. See my overall goal is to stuff the absolute tallest and widest tires in the rear , and a good size in the front. I want it to look correct for 1962. I want it to look like it was a weekend drag racer and a daily driver from 1962. I have additional work to do to it to make it look that way, but this is my start. I don't want to but 30 different tires and rims to try on. I spent 99.00 for a plastic back space gauge from summit, and its way to confusing. Any size info would be great, thanks.
Recommend you look thru this doc to find what GM provided in '62:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...-Chevrolet.pdf

The 'biggest' wheel GM put on the 'normal' full size Chevy in 62 was 14" (I think police cars and taxi's got 15"). If you limit yourself to what GM provided; 6.70 x 14 on front, 8.00 x 14 on rear. No concern about fit. The '8.00' is the nominal width of the tire in inches (NOT the tread; it is smaller).

"Slicks" were illegal on the street and some track racers changed to them (from their daily tires) to race (as I remember, depending on what 'class' they were racing, slicks were allowed).

If you fast forward to the late '60s, 'kids' street racing (I was one) would often use the 'new' G70 14's on the rear and F (or E) 70 14's on the front (I used G's rear, Fs front on my '63 in 1968-71). The 'wider' tread on the Gs provided a little more traction AND were street legal.

Here's a pic of my current '63. It is a spittin' image of the one I owned in 1968. It has 15" Cragar SS mags (part #61c563432) and P215x70X15" tires all around. The '215' is the nominal width of the tires in mm (about 8.5 inches). EVERYTHING fits. It also has the station wagon rear springs to raise the rear about 2" (from stock).

One could use 'wider' on the rear but I've got so much torque (from my '383') that I don't want too much traction. I do NOT race and when I wish to 'spin' the tires, the tires 'spin'. I don't break parts.

Just trying to be helpful. Your car; your choices.

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1065.jpg (47.5 KB, 17 views)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 09:53 PM

Garage
I wanted fairly stock look, but wanted wide tires. I went as wide as I could with the 14" wheels and 1 inch white walls. The Diamond Back III 245/60R14 tires are really TA Radials with the white wall vulcanized on to them. They needed a 7" - 8.5" wide rim. and IF my notes are correct, I used 14x7 wheels 3.75 inch backspacing (stock drum brakes). They are slightly smaller in diameter than the stock size, which lowers the car just a bit, in a nice way. I am sure you can find more/cheaper choices, if you don't care about the white walls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5134.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	23508  

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2020, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I also located a tire and rim sizer calculator online. I entered a few numbers and tire sizes, and I'm looking at 15'' instead of 14'' . I'm looking at 8 x 15 rims. For the rear, im looking at 255/70R 15
that's 29.1 tall and 10. wide.......and for the front I'm looking at 235/70R 15 that's 28. tall and 9.3 wide. Thoughts please ??
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysurf View Post
Thanks guys, I also located a tire and rim sizer calculator online. I entered a few numbers and tire sizes, and I'm looking at 15'' instead of 14'' . I'm looking at 8 x 15 rims. For the rear, im looking at 255/70R 15
that's 29.1 tall and 10. wide.......and for the front I'm looking at 235/70R 15 that's 28. tall and 9.3 wide. Thoughts please ??
I never tried anything those sizes. Have you verified they will fit? Not interfering with suspension, exhaust? Can one get them on/off? The car's suspension (front and back) 'lowers' when the frame is jacked up. That changes the geometry of the 'space' to fit the tire/wheel on the lugs/hub.

You may (emphasis on MAY) also discover those BIG tire bog down your drive train. That's ALOT of 'rubber' for a 283 (or a 327) 2 speed powerglide, 3.08 rear, to 'pull'. A 409 might do (barely for my tastes, but I wouldn't have a auto trans of any ilk). Just saying; I don't know your drive train, or your goals.

It would really suck to find out you have a problem after you buy everything, get the tires mounted on the wheels. That chit is expensive (to me).

But, those wheels/tires won't look like ANYTHING from the '60s (your stated goal).

Buy what you like, will fit, and won't bog down your drive train. I don't know any of those factors; you do.

Pete
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 03:41 PM

Garage
62 is a year that looks great with a slightly raised rear end. The lines of the car work with that. Even my 64 looked kinda good that way, back in the 80's (don't recall the tire sizes, just that they were Nitto tires)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan00021.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	23512  
62BillT likes this.

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM

just put 255/60/15 tires on rear, I think a 275/60/15 will also fill up wheel well.... both on 8 inch wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page