64 4 Door - Impala Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits?

2Likes
  • 2 Post By dcairns

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

64 4 Door

Hey peeps, i am looking at widening my factory 14" steel rims to 8" and running a 245/50/14 tyre with original hub caps, also lowering by 2", has anyone done it or have any pics? or pros and cons?
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 06:29 PM

Garage
I have a 64 -4door as well Welcome to the site!
I have 14x7 wheels (I think it is a 3.75" backspacing) on stock drum brakes. Running 245/60R14 Diamond Back III white wall tires (BF Goodrich tires T/A Radials with a white wall vulcanized on them) that are 25.6” Diameter. According to my notes, the recommended rim for the tires was 7"-8.5" wide. The tires are not as tall as stock, so it sits lower. Not too noticeable, but gives it a nicer stance. How much lower that is, I am not sure, but I do notice I have to bend over a little to reach the door handle. As it is, I have to really slow down over speed bumps to keep the mufflers from scraping.

On the suspension side, it is fairly stock:

Springs:
Moog 658A front (listed as SS springs)
Moog 6033 rear (listed as Heavy Duty)

Shocks
Monroe Sensa-trac

Bushings
Energy Suspension Poly Graphite bushings

Swaybar
Addco front anti-sway bar.

The springs firm up the ride so it is not floating all over the place like the old springs I had. Rides more like a modern car, nice balance between firm enough, but not harsh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4949.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	23924   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6245-level.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	23926  
CarlNZ and KennyDM like this.

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Cheers for your reply mate very helpfull.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 10:56 AM

As to widening your wheels. It was very common back in the days of stock car racing when they actually raced a stock car with a hopped up motor and the axles off of a one ton truck. Every town had a shop with a big engine lathe to turn the wheels, and a hefty slip roller to bend the flat steel plate into a circle to add to the stock wheel.

Since NASCAR stopped using stock cars (they are all tube frame funny cars with a home made aero dynamic upside down bath tub that uses a big decal on the windshield and decals for headlights and grill work to identify what the brand of car they run is; wheels are no longer stock either. As such few bother any more to widen steel wheels except for dune buggies and 4x4 trucks. So that is the kind of shop to look for today.

Your other possibility is a ship repair shop. They will have the equipment to do the work if they have the time for such a small project; and the knowledge of how to do it. Not to mention here in the states those facilities are kept behind barricades guarded by cops and federal marshals to control immigration and drugs from getting into the country.

Big Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 11:18 AM

Garage
I just bought my wider wheels from Summit ;D

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcairns View Post
I just bought my wider wheels from Summit ;D
But he lives in New Zealand. So he has to pay for the Chinese made wheel that has already crossed the Pacific ocean once to get to California to be shipped by rail to Ohio, then shipped back to California by truck to be put on a ship bound for New Zealand and to pay on top of the price plus shipping an import fee that often cost more than the price of the part. Widening an existing wheel might well be much cheaper, and it guarantees that his full wheel covers will fit if he starts out with the stock steel wheel.

Big Dave
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 07:44 AM

Yeah, the shipping fee would definitely be a lot. It may not be worth it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcairns View Post
I have a 64 -4door as well Welcome to the site!
I have 14x7 wheels (I think it is a 3.75" backspacing) on stock drum brakes. Running 245/60R14 Diamond Back III white wall tires (BF Goodrich tires T/A Radials with a white wall vulcanized on them) that are 25.6 Diameter. According to my notes, the recommended rim for the tires was 7"-8.5" wide. The tires are not as tall as stock, so it sits lower. Not too noticeable, but gives it a nicer stance. How much lower that is, I am not sure, but I do notice I have to bend over a little to reach the door handle. As it is, I have to really slow down over speed bumps to keep the mufflers from scraping.

On the suspension side, it is fairly stock:

Springs:
Moog 658A front (listed as SS springs)
Moog 6033 rear (listed as Heavy Duty)

Shocks
Monroe Sensa-trac

Bushings
Energy Suspension Poly Graphite bushings

Swaybar
Addco front anti-sway bar.

The springs firm up the ride so it is not floating all over the place like the old springs I had. Rides more like a modern car, nice balance between firm enough, but not harsh.

Totally cool set up! We're gonna check out your stuff here soon as we plan for the incoming 4-door project, we'll just finish installing the parts from 4Wheelonline onto the truck and clear the garage. I like the clean looks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page