'68 Heater control removal - Impala Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling & air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

'68 Heater control removal

Hello! I've been searching this site but haven't found any specific info regarding this question: How difficult is it to remove the heat/AC control panel on my '68? The heater blower is not working (I've checked the fuses, wiring in the engine compartment in vicinity of the heater box as best I can); prior owner said heater stopped working when the aftermarket cd player was installed, so I'm guessing it likely has something to do with how the radio was wired. I would like to check out the connections at the heater control switches before going any further into the heater box area, and am hoping the controls can be removed without taking too much of the dash apart.
Any advice anyone could give would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00078.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	7137  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 08:27 AM

You may not have to remove anything just yet. You can actually look up behind the dash with a flashlight and see if the switch harness is connected.
If not here's what it takes to remove controls:
Remove 3 or 4 screws at top of dash bezel and pull from the bottom where the words for ignition, lighter etc.
Next, there are 2 screws on the top of the heater assembly (and maybe 2 at bottom, it's been a while) which also houses the radio, but be careful the tabs where the mounting screws go through are made of pot metal and break easily ( I know). I would try to disconnect as much as possible before you start from under the dash because there'll be some maneuvering issues with the control cable's. But watch those mounting tabs.
Maybe 15 mins. tops to get it out.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!
I had already visually checked the wire harness connector (appears to be connected to the switch), so the next step would be to trace the wiring for the radio (to see if the prior owner was correct as to when the heater blower stopped working) and/or heater power and look for any relationship. Again, hoping to do so without removing anything except maybe the radio, but if I do, I will certainly heed your advice regarding those tabs-good to know!
From what I can see from the floor area, the heater switch wiring goes directly into a larger harness and, so far, I've not found anything connecting the radio to this harness but have not yet found the power source for the radio. Will be digging deeper this weekend and keeping my fingers crossed that the problem is not at the blower itself, as it looks like a big job to get at!
Thanks again!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 12:43 AM

Yeah, to pull the blower, you have to pull the inner fender well. Yeah thats a day in its self.
Especially when it's beer-o-clock on a Saturday
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE:
The aftermarket radio is drawing power from the cigarette lighter. What looks like the original radio plug with wiring is just pushed aside up into the dash and not connected to anything. There is, however, one yellow wire from the radio plug that does go to the heater switch wiring plug. When I jump one of the spades on the radio plug to one of the heater switch plug spades, the heater blower kicks in! Is it possible that the heater blower switch draws power from the radio circuit? If so, does anyone have a simple solution to jump or bypass the original radio wiring plug to complete the necessary circuit to the heater switch plug? I'm at a loss, short of rewiring the entire heater switch plug after identifying which spade does what in the circuit.
Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page