AC Delete - Impala Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling & air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
AC Delete

I have a 1969 Imp with factory AC which I want to remove. In order to disconnect it, I believe I have to evacuate the system, what is involved with doing this safely? What are the complications in doing this, does it affect the heater as well - I have a feeling that it is not as simple as just removing the components under the hood and replacing it with an AC delete plate. I need the heat, but not the AC and it seems like modifying everything for new refrigerant is more of a pain than it is worth. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
In order to disconnect it, I believe I have to evacuate the system, what is involved with doing this safely?
You need a A/C refrigerant vacuum pump and weight based service machine to do it legally. I had one I bought from Snap-On but there are Chinese knock offs for less money:

https://store.snapon.com/Air-Conditi...e-P886578.aspx

Quote:
What are the complications in doing this, does it affect the heater as well
Yes your A/C takes out side air down below the dew point to dry it out, and then warms it up again with the heater core using mixing doors to blend the air to your preset temperature. If you use the defroster this dry air makes it work faster. If you remove the evaporator (A/C part) it won't work as well but it could work if there are no holes in the plenum.

Quote:
I have a feeling that it is not as simple as just removing the components under the hood and replacing it with an AC delete plate
There are no block off A/C delete plates there is only a heater only plenum on cars that did not come with A/C. I had to use an aluminum speed limit sign to cover the hole in the fire wall on my Impala.

Quote:
modifying everything for new refrigerant is more of a pain than it is worth
All you need to do is find and fix any leaks first and then change out the expansion valve to use R-134 instead of R-12 which can still be purchased and used by a licensed tech. Every time you open up the A/c you have to install a new drier. Only the expansion valve is different.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Dave! Did you install a heater only plenum in yours? I like the use of the sign. On newer cars (was working on an 89 firebird) there is the AC delete cover which fits in pretty easily.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miterry View Post
Thanks Dave! Did you install a heater only plenum in yours? I like the use of the sign. On newer cars (was working on an 89 firebird) there is the AC delete cover which fits in pretty easily.
In this car no. No heater as I do not drive in the rain and it never gets cold enough to need a heater in Central Florida. It had a 582 cube BBC under the flat hood and I had a '89 Caprice with a 513 horse 406 under the hood that I trolled town with. Because both cars looked alike I often had to go home to get my slicks if I wanted to embarrass some one, as I just swapped cars to get my slicks.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page