Ac advice for 67 - Impala Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling & air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Ac advice for 67

Should I try to install original equipment or go with aftermarket equip? Aftermarket would cost around $1300 for vintage or similar. Not sure what oe would cost but a compressor is $300 and I need everything new or salvage really. Except I have the inside heater core box and factory controls and dash vents. Basically all the engine compartment stuff was gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:01 PM

If the car came with factory air conditioning (a rare option outside of the deep south or desert southwest) then it is worth the effort to find the pulleys and brackets along with new hoses (custom made at a hydraulic shop). You can still buy a remanufactured Harrison A6 compressor. It will look better and cool better than a knee knocker aftermarket A/C.

If your car had heat only then you are better off with the aftermarket units. The hoses, vents, and air box under the dash are not reproduced. The A/C controls and the valves and trap doors inside the evaporator box are impossible to find and hard to retro fit.

Big Dave
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Thats the advice I was looking for.

It is a factory air convertible, which I expected was fairly rare. Everything inside is there. but I need the evap box for under the hood and the compressor and brackets and hoses and condensor/evaporator dryer, all those goodies.

But I think I can find a sedan at the salvage that had factory AC also.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ImpalaSSConv View Post
Thanks. Thats the advice I was looking for.

It is a factory air convertible, which I expected was fairly rare. Everything inside is there. but I need the evap box for under the hood and the compressor and brackets and hoses and condensor/evaporator dryer, all those goodies.

But I think I can find a sedan at the salvage that had factory AC also.
Except for the evaporator box under the hood (a piece of molded fiberglass that I do not think is reproduced) everything else; (ok, possibly excluding the mounting brackets, though the Chevelle part houses offer brackets that will fit, if they are not the same as the Full Size parts) are sold as a service part to repair an existing car brand new.

Hoses if you found the originals would leak down in hours; as they are made of rubber and cotton cord and have all rotted away now. You can buy brand new hoses with the correct ends from a couple of specialty houses. If you had the original aluminum ends they could be reworked and refitted to newer synthetic hydraulic hose at a truck stop, or farm supply store).

Big Dave
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Except for the evaporator box under the hood (a piece of molded fiberglass that I do not think is reproduced) everything else; (ok, possibly excluding the mounting brackets, though the Chevelle part houses offer brackets that will fit, if they are not the same as the Full Size parts) are sold as a service part to repair an existing car brand new.

Hoses if you found the originals would leak down in hours; as they are made of rubber and cotton cord and have all rotted away now. You can buy brand new hoses with the correct ends from a couple of specialty houses. If you had the original aluminum ends they could be reworked and refitted to newer synthetic hydraulic hose at a truck stop, or farm supply store).

Big Dave
Thanks. I'm just now looking at parts on ClassicIndustries.com and some other places. These parts aren't cheap. around $300 each for compressors, condensers, and evap coil. So that's $900 right there just for those 3 pieces, not to mention hoses, brackets and misc components. So at this rate $1300 for vintage air is not looking too bad.

Its possible I'd find the evap and condensor coils on the salvage car but I'm not sure I'd want to use those.

Of course I realize Vintage Air won't be original AC components, but this is not an original restoration job anyway.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:53 AM

Garage
A Vintage Air Magnum should fit entirely under the dash with more room to spare than the original AC equipment.

1969 Imapala convertible build thread here:
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ghlight=impala
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:29 PM

Garage
I have Classic Auto Air in my Chevelle and Vintage Air in my Cutlass, planning on Classic Auto Air in the Impala cause I like the quality of parts and customer service much better.
Classic Auto Air has more efficient larger condenser and evaporator. Also their system has separate heat coil, like the factory-original A/C systems. Vintage Air combines the A/C and heat coils which is less effective.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
A Vintage Air Magnum should fit entirely under the dash with more room to spare than the original AC equipment.
Nice, thanks! Do these systems replace the entire huge fan box under the dash as well as the fiberglass underhood evap box?

Is there any advantage really in trying to go back original with salvage/resto/rebuilt equipment?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67SS View Post
I have Classic Auto Air in my Chevelle and Vintage Air in my Cutlass, planning on Classic Auto Air in the Impala cause I like the quality of parts and customer service much better.
Classic Auto Air has more efficient larger condenser and evaporator. Also their system has separate heat coil, like the factory-original A/C systems. Vintage Air combines the A/C and heat coils which is less effective.
I'm guessing the Magnum vintage air system is smaller due to these reasons. But there is no lack of space under the dash of my '67.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67SS View Post
Another quick question. the instructions show removing the fender, is that necessary?

I'm liking the Classic Auto system because they have actual kits for the '67 along with good instructions. The others just have generic looking kits for my car.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:22 PM

I have never been found of Sanden compressors. They were the OEM vendor for Chrysler, but I much prefer a Harrison A6, or the older Frigidaire compressor.

A functional factory air conditioning system will add more resale value than a hang on aftermarket system will. Though both work, the factory system works better due to the under dash ducting and vents that combine heat and A/C blending as well as defrost.

Big Dave
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Another quick question. the instructions show removing the fender, is that necessary?

I'm liking the Classic Auto system because they have actual kits for the '67 along with good instructions. The others just have generic looking kits for my car.
Not sure about the Impala, on my Chevelle I had to remove the inner fender to route the lines.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I have never been found of Sanden compressors. They were the OEM vendor for Chrysler, but I much prefer a Harrison A6, or the older Frigidaire compressor.

A functional factory air conditioning system will add more resale value than a hang on aftermarket system will. Though both work, the factory system works better due to the under dash ducting and vents that combine heat and A/C blending as well as defrost.

Big Dave
Has anyone ever used the Nostalgic AC kits? They have the option to choose a different compressor for an upgrade fee. I haven't contacted them to see if they have a Harrison or Frigidaire yet. Or you can delete the compressor and just get the rest of the kit.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Or you can delete the compressor and just get the rest of the kit.
You can not mix and match compressors. Even between GM compressors as the belts will not align. In addition to Harrison A6 axial six piston, Harrison also makes the R4 scroll compressor and the HT6 (similar form factor to the Sanden scroll compressor), then there are the York compressors (looks like a miniature Harley V-twin engine, and Fords compressors. None have the same bolt patterns, form factors or share brackets.

Big Dave
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
You can not mix and match compressors. Even between GM compressors as the belts will not align. In addition to Harrison A6 axial six piston, Harrison also makes the R4 scroll compressor and the HT6 (similar form factor to the Sanden scroll compressor), then there are the York compressors (looks like a miniature Harley V-twin engine, and Fords compressors. None have the same bolt patterns, form factors or share brackets.

Big Dave
Ok, I was just going by what they allowed as substitutions. A few different compressors and pully configurations. They make the brackets custom for your engine as well. .
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Nice, thanks! Do these systems replace the entire huge fan box under the dash as well as the fiberglass underhood evap box?

Is there any advantage really in trying to go back original with salvage/resto/rebuilt equipment?
It does replace everything under the hood and relocates to under the dash. I'm sure there's an engine bay picture in my build thread.

My 69 required removing the inner fender to get all of the old stuff out. It's not that hard, you just have to find all the fender bolts and go slowly.
The OE system is actually really well built and many of them are still on the road but I didn't want to deal with vacuum controls, cable controls, refurbishing the housings, etc. It was just easier to buy one unit with controls and install it.
Funny someone else mentioned Classic Auto Air as I actually have a hybrid system between the two. I was originally using the Classic Auto Air system which was a modified expansion valve for R-134a, compressor and condenser. Then I bought the Magnum unit and controls to finish the install.

1969 Imapala convertible build thread here:
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ghlight=impala
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page