Need AC for 1963 Impala (or discount code) - Impala Tech
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling & air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Need AC for 1963 Impala (or discount code)

Need AC for 1963 Impala (or discount code for online purchase)

I have a non-factoryne AC 1963 Impala and I need to add AC.

Looking for a kit, or if anyone has a coupon code for an online seller like Classic Industries or similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 08:46 PM

I can not remember if they were still using Frigid-Aire compressors back in 1963 or the new A-6 Harrison six piston replacement compressor which was used for the next ten years or so years until they switched over to the scroll compressors (the donut) which would be the best compressor as far as cooling goes.

Big Dave
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Since it's a non-factory AC car I was thinking a kit from classic auto air or similar would be the best way to go, unless I can find a complete under dash kit for cheap.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 08:37 AM

You are probably better off going after market. I've done this around 10 times w/street rods & they always worked great.

They use a Sanden compressor in their kits which is very efficient. I am currently putting a Vintage air unit in my 65 Biscayne, which I am doing a body off.

I have welded all the holes in my firewall & removed thr heater to make it smooth. All the vintage stuff is under the dash...unseen.

Donnie.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 05:19 PM

Hey Odin,

I'm running into the same issues as you with my 63' Impala as well. It seems like the best way to go is with the under dash kit, but they're all super expensive. Please let me know what you end up going with &/or if you find a decent kit that's fairly inexpensive in comparison, as I'm having no luck.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrock63Impala View Post
Hey Odin,

I'm running into the same issues as you with my 63' Impala as well. It seems like the best way to go is with the under dash kit, but they're all super expensive. Please let me know what you end up going with &/or if you find a decent kit that's fairly inexpensive in comparison, as I'm having no luck.

I bought the Classic Auto Air "Perfect Fit" 1963 Impala kit. About $1500, and the instructions leave a lot to be desired. But it seems to be a very complete solution. I'm in the process of installing it.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 09:01 AM

Very curious as to fit and function. I too am looking into one of these units for a '61.

Hammerit-
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

So far everything has fit really well, once I figured out the parts that the instructions don't explain clearly.

I've only been working an hour or two at a time a couple nights a week, so I probably won't have it up and running for several more days at least.

They told me an experienced tech can install the system in 18 hours, so it's not a quick and easy install. But it hasn't been really difficult, just time consuming taking everything apart and putting it back together.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 12:41 PM

Every once and a while Classic Industries has a 20% off sale. They send me emails about it, so get on their mailing list and wait for the chance, if you are not in a hurry.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

....Classic Industries currently has a 20% special till Aug 8th at midnight.
Promo code 'HOT2011'

Kevin

'63 Impala SS 409/425 owned since '71
'64 Impala SS 327/300 factory 4sp p/s p/b air
'66 Impala 327/275 glide 2dr/hdtp
'66 Belair Wagon 283 700R4
'62 Impala 350/350 dual quad th350 2dr/hdtp
'00 Camaro SS 6sp hurst SLP
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

The Classic Auto Air kit was not that difficult to install. Would have been easier with a few tweaks to their instructions, but having done it once I could do another in a day.

The problem is that they sold me a compressor (made in China) that the threads on the hose fitting crumbled into pieces when I attached the hose (by hand, not with a wrench). Cheap pot metal I guess, I just got a bad one.

No problem, they told em they would send me a replacement, bill my CC, and credit me back when I returned the defective compressor.

They sent me a new compressor, I installed it, everything worked. I returned the defective compressor the same day. Classic Auto Air got it back and signed for it. Then they shipped it back to me, and told me that they would not honor what they told me on the phone and they would not refund my CC for the additional compressor.

So I paid for a whole kit PLUS an additional compressor, plus the freight to ship back the bad compressor.

They reasoning was... "The supplier of the compressors has their return policy and I am held to their decisions. We are required to send the compressor to them and they then determine what caused the failure. On the Sanden compressors, it is always an “Installation Error”
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 01:55 PM

Customer service FAIL!
Call the credit card company and get the charges reversed. Selling you defective products is reason enough for that!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcairns View Post
Customer service FAIL!
Call the credit card company and get the charges reversed. Selling you defective products is reason enough for that!

Tried that, Classic Auto Air fought me and beat me on it. I considered it a $300 lesson that I will never do business with them again.

It's a shame, because I would have been an advocate for their company based on I liked the product, if I had a good customer service experience. I have an automotive business and we work on multiple cars a day, many of them classics. You can bet I don't send anyone to Classic Auto Air after my experience. And I'm in Dallas, same as Classic Auto Air.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Change the credit card. I do not know the details of your specific case, but in my case it is not often where I call cc for things like disputing a charge (maybe once since I got my current card over 10 years ago). If they can't work with you, they won't have your business. Worst case scenario, you will be applying for new card. But there is a possibility that they will make a deal with you splitting the cost or something. Remember that they are getting more profits from your monthly charges on the cc than this $300 dispute.

To me it is kinda weird that if you are a professional with your own shop that they can dismiss your claims stating user error as a cause. It is not like me, an IT guy, tries to dispute the stripped bolts trying to install something. :-)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 09:42 AM

Sanderson compressors are chosen because they are the cheapest to buy and stick into any kit. If Classic "knows" this to be an issue (not willing to go to the vendor with a valid claim) it should request that the maker of the kit use a different bracket and compressor. Other wise I advise buying GM parts and making your own hoses and finding an under dash evaporator-blower housing that many sell.

Big Dave
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 12:37 PM

Wow. How disappointing. I installed Classic Auto Air, but don't have it running yet....
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
Tried that, Classic Auto Air fought me and beat me on it. I considered it a $300 lesson that I will never do business with them again.

It's a shame, because I would have been an advocate for their company based on I liked the product, if I had a good customer service experience. I have an automotive business and we work on multiple cars a day, many of them classics. You can bet I don't send anyone to Classic Auto Air after my experience. And I'm in Dallas, same as Classic Auto Air.
Here is one customer they just lost because of that.

1964 Impala SS Convertible. 409, 4 speed, dual quad
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:15 AM

a/'c

Bought my 64 last july, drove it home in 105 degrees heat, no fun.

Purchased everything needed for under dash air from Southern Rods at the Street rod nationals in Louisville last August, got it installed, blows ICE COLD, instantly. Paid 635.00 including a chrome air compressor. My bud charged me about 275.00 to do the install.
Jimmyglendale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page