No Ignition and Lights - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

No Ignition and Lights

Just bought a 62 impala and noticed that the wiring in the engine compartment is a mess. Looks like the guy who put in the alternator (with an external regulator) wired the stereo too and just hacked through the original wiring to do it. I looked through the wiring and assessed the mess And then when I got back in the car, I noticed that the interior lights no longer worked. Also, when I tried to fire up the engine, there was no ignition (no parking brake light and no temp dummy light either). The headlights no longer worked and I could not get the car started again. At this point, I went out to the engine compartment and back tracked to trouble shoot. I noticed a bundle of tape and removed it to find a push button ignition wired into the starting system in the engine compartment. I tried it out and it tried to turn the engine over, but it did not. So I opened the door and noticed the interior lights were back on!! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, then I went and turned the car over with the key ignition and it started! Wierd. So, with the car running, I tried to turn the headlights back on via the headlamp switch and the car DIED AGAIN! At this point I was back to square one. I tried to re-create the steps and there was still no lights and ignition. The push button ignition in the engine compartment tries to turn the car over but the car does not have any lights and the key ignition doesn't work. HELP! ANYONE KNOW WHAT I CAN DO??? ANY SUGGESTIONS!??!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 09:57 PM

I would guss your problem is at the starter solinoid. Everything electrical starts there.That is if your battery and cables are in good shape. Your wireing sounds a mess.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 10:03 PM

Main power flows through a fusible link. It sounds like yours physically broke creating an open and some strands made contact again to let you get it going but it couldn't carry the load and burned open. If I am right there should be about ten inches of spongy wire were it attaches to the battery. If so check it for continuity and resistance (you will have to look up the number of Ohms of resistance as I do not have that info off the top of my head.

If it is as I suspect burnt open. You will need to replace it with another piece of fusible wire to protect your car from burning to the ground if you get a short in your electrical system. It could be the reason it burnt open now (that is you have a dead short in your electrical system).

I deleted your cut and paste duplicate post as we do not need two threads open with the same subject.

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 05-27-2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Spleling

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave.

Also, Quick question (might sound stupid, please forgive) When you mention a fusible link, are you talking about a link that has an actual voltage fuse attached, or just a link of wiring that has been attached to existing wiring to make applicable connections?

Also, I haven't had time to mess with it yet, but when I do, I'll let you know what my results are.

And, does anyone know where I can get a good wiring kit for the engine compartment (or maybe a wiring kit for the whole car like a painless or something)? I'm probably going to replace most of the wiring myself and get rid of any "janky" wiring the guy did previously.

Thanks again and I appreciate your replies.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, just want to say thanks for your replies and help. Got the car running and fixed the wiring issues.

In case anyone is interested, this is what I did. I took the engine/ headlight harness' clips off and noticed that the pins were bent and a couple of them were touching each other. It looked like a mess. So I straightened the pins out and shot some contact cleaner in them. BAM, lights on in the car. The other problem was the wiring. I noticed that a wire came un-done from the alternator. It was supposed to be connected straight to the battery but was patched through the horn relay wiring and burnt those wires to a crisp. It then detached and grounded out resulting in the frying of the alternator. With some new wires, attachments, new alternator, and some elbow grease, the car runs great, charges the battery just fine and the engine wiring now looks tight and clean and everything is wired correctly. Thank god! And it only cost me 80 bucks total!!

Thanks again!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 12:27 PM

congrats man! i have a 63 impala with sketchy brake / tail lights. going to be working through those issues soon.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 01:31 PM
BA.

glad you got'er figured out Joe. Troubleshooting multiple problems is hard enough, let alone trying to figure out janky wiring!!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page