65 taillights, brakelights and reverse lights - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
65 taillights, brakelights and reverse lights

Good morning all!

I'm reading in the forums about taillights and which should be doing what function. And I see the wiring diagram for a 66 (see attached) that shows all three lights supposed to be brake and taillights ... but mine's a 65.

So, for a 65 with reverse light built into the center one on each side, should the middle one also shine red on tail and/or brake light application? or just the ones on either side of the reverse light?

and while we're talking about it... my reverse light is not lighting up when I put it in reverse. Where does it get it's signal? the shifter lever? or on the transmission? (mine is an SS with the automatic lever in the floor console, if that makes a difference)

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Impala Wiring diagram schematic Full 3.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	19498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5335a.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	19506  

according to the body tag: (if I'm reading this correctly)
Build Date: Third week of November, 1965
Impala SS 2-door coupe (V8)
Arlington TX plant.
Original Paint: Evening Orchid (currently Crocus Yellow)
Original Interior: white/black (currently Black)
Factory Air Conditioning

not on the tag:
396 TurboJet (non-matching number)
3-speed, Automatic Transmission (TH400?)

12 bolt,
locking rear differential (
3.30? gear ratio)
Tri-Volume Horn (GM Accessory)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 10:39 AM

Yes it makes a difference what type shifter you have. n the column the reverse light switch is at the base of the steering column inside the cabin by the toe boards. On a floor shifter it is under the car as part of the shifter mechanism.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 11:30 AM

Both outboard and inboard lights will be both taillight and brake-light.
Reverse lights --> these are grounded at the taillight housing. If they lose ground, they won't work. Jiggle the socket in the housing to see if will ground and light up. Make sure the the socket contacts are clean where it is pushed into taillight housing. Use a test light to see if power is going to the socket.

1967 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible - Ermine White C1
1967 Chevrolet Impala SS 396 - Marina Blue FF

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 08:01 PM

On an SS automatic it is on the right side of the shifter, right underneath where your PRNDSL indicator is. I don't know if you have to remove the whole console to see it, or if the insert in the console comes out and you can see it that way.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:23 PM

I'm having same issue in 65 SS with console automatic. No break lights or taillights in center light. No reverse light in center light either. If i'm reading these suggestions correctly I'll need to check connectivity under shifter for reverse lights. however, how do i get center light to work as tail and break lights?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:37 PM

Chevy never had a center light (six lamps) the middle is a dumby like the fourth smoke stack on the Titanic. They are there only because the stylist thought they looked good. The bean counters vetoed making it functional to save money for their annual Christmas party. The middle lamp is your back up light normally, though it might vary from model to model (Biscayne, BelAir, Impala, Caprice). I just can not remember.

If you desire to make it functional it would be a piece of cake to wire up a LED bulb to use power from it's neighbor to make all six light up.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page