Impalas.net banner

63 Impala unknown firewall wires

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jayoldschool 
#1 ·
Hello Impala world. So I have a 63 impala 409 4 speed manual transmission convertible power windows and top from canada. Now that im putting the car back together, im confused on where some of these wires go. I didn't originally take the car apart so this is why im confused. On the firewall, there is one wire that has a single connection on it that i don't know where or what it is for. I do have a red wire that fits into the slot and could possibly be wired to the positive on the starter. Second mystery wire is that there is a grommet that has two wires coming out of it. Wires are thick such as a 110 wall plug and the grommet is perfectly formed into the wires making me think it is a factory installed part. I believe this might be the back up light switch wires for the car. If someone can enlighten me on this i gladly appreciate the help.

Thank you
Jason

#4 ·
Yeah i purchased a very detailed wiring diagram and im still a bit confused. I believe the red wire goes to the starter providing direct power for the windows and the convertible top. I did see a little grease at the end of the terminal so I believe it goes to the starter. The other two wires i believe are the back up switch wires since the switch is located on the transmission itself. I will find out once i start to put the car back together. Thanks for your input.

#5 ·
I believe you are correct that the two thick wires go to the reverse switch on the transmission, but the connector on the end appears to be cut off. I can't tell the wire colors in the photo, but if memory (as I don't have a schematic in front of me, serves me right one is purple in color. The red wire would require me to have a drawing in front of me and have to see where the other end terminates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.