67 Tail Lights - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
67 Tail Lights

On my 67 Impala the rear lights work with the lights on, directional lights work fine, brake lights work fine, but if the right directional is on the brake light on the left doesn't work. now if the left directional is on, brake lights on both sides work fine. back up lights also work fine. I have put in a new rear wiring harness. I'm pretty good with mechanical things. But not electrical. Any input would be greatly helpful. I will be away for 2 days, so can't respond till Wen. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:32 AM

Having just diagnosed a tail/brake light situation I can maybe offer a little help.

First and foremost, make sure you have good grounds on all the light sockets and that you have the right bulbs in there. But it sounds like you might since everything else is working. Also make sure you have clean fuse connections. Sounds like you might have all that covered.

My problem was intermittent tail/stop light functionality and it was due to bad fuse holders. But in trouble shooting I stared at the wiring diagram a lot.

It looks like the brake switch has a connection through the directional switch in the steering column. I think that might be your issue. Fortunately I didn't have to tear into my steering column wiring but it sounds like you might have to find that connection and see what's up.

I think the way it works is when you step on your brakes, you send power to both left and right brake light bulb elements, which is the same as the directional element. When you turn on either directional, it just interrupts that brake light power using the flasher relay (purple wire)

From the diagram, the brake switch is always hot from the orange wire from the fuse box, and when you step on the brakes it completes the #14 circuit which sends power to the white wire into your steering column. From there is goes to the green & yellow circuit which is stop lights/directional lights (green is right yellow is left). I think maybe you have a switch problem from white/green/yellow/purple in the column. But I've never dug into that switch so I can't offer much advice beyond what the diagram shows.

If you don't have the diagram I can try to pm a pdf to you. I found it on another forum site so I'm not sure its ok to post it.

I'm not an expert by any means, so don't go tearing into the column just yet until you get some other feedback and do some more research. I know its not easy getting into the column wiring.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the info. Yeh I really don't want to tear into the steering column. The only thing Ive changed is the back up lights from the switch on the bottom of the steering column to a switch on a floor shifter that I installed, but that did not cause this problem. I've been getting it to pass inspection by stepping on the brakes, then turning the directional for each side without having the brakes on. But I really would like to fix this. I have never torn apart a steering column.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:32 PM

Yeah I agree, important to have brake lights while turning..

I know you'd have to take off the steering wheel. Mine is off and I can see the turn signal switch but haven't removed it. It doesn't look that hard to get out. But I don't know about the wires yet.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeh, I'll take a look at it. I have a complete assembly manual for a 67 Impala.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk2hons View Post
Yeh, I'll take a look at it. I have a complete assembly manual for a 67 Impala.
Since the steering column goes in as an assembly the assembly manual wn't show how to swap out the turn signal. You need the Service manual for that or a Chiltons/Motors manual to show how it is repaired.

Big Dave
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:25 PM

Not to hijack, but I'm trying to figure out what bulbs people are using for the turn signal/brake combo. I was trying to replace mine with an LED variant, and I have a good one for brake only, but not one that handles the flash of the turn signal.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMDSmith View Post
Not to hijack, but I'm trying to figure out what bulbs people are using for the turn signal/brake combo. I was trying to replace mine with an LED variant, and I have a good one for brake only, but not one that handles the flash of the turn signal.
You need a dedicated flasher for an LED bulb. There isn't enough resistance to get the bi metal strip to function. Needs either a motor with a contact wheel or a digital cascade counter to function.

Digital version is usually programable to allow sequential flashing or other functions.

Big Dave
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well I fixed my problem with directional and brake lights. I noticed that when I turned the right directional on, it had some back play in it and if I slightly moved it back to take out the back play, the brake lights work every time. So I cut a piece of fairly stiff rubber and clamped it to the steering column in the proper position above the turn signal arm so that when the right turn signal is turned on the piece of rubber has enough pressure to take out the back play but still keeps the the turn signal locked in location. Then after making the turn it snaps back to the center. Put it on with a hose clamp just like clamping on a Tachometer. I know a lot of you guys won't agree with this, but if it stays working I'm going to leave it that way.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:20 PM

Good Deal!

I think if you eventually replaced the plastic switch in the column, it would fix that problem also. Yours is probably just worn out.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the reply. I figured nobody would approve of my fix.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
You need a dedicated flasher for an LED bulb. There isn't enough resistance to get the bi metal strip to function. Needs either a motor with a contact wheel or a digital cascade counter to function.

Digital version is usually programable to allow sequential flashing or other functions.

Big Dave
Thanks Big Dave. I could probably pick your brain endlessly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page