Neutral Safety Switch? - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Neutral Safety Switch?

66 Impala SS Convertible, 396 CID TH400 auto trans.
When turning the key the starter will only work in Park not neutral - This created a dangerous situation while working on sniper F.I.test drive. I Started to pull out in traffic and the car coughed and stalled!http://www.impalas.net/forums/images...e_surprise.png
When I look up a replacement neutral safety switch (with actual neutral) in Classic Industries, it tells me they are reproduction but not if they allow cranking in Park and Neutral. Does anyone have any ideas on this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0101b.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	22796  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 11:07 AM
Team Member

I'm not sure I understand - are you saying you tried putting the car in neutral and restarting it while moving and could not because of the switch? I would troubleshoot the Sniper EFI before I would mess with the neutral safety switch since it was the EFI that left you coasting.

I just recently got the Sniper EFI on my 496 running correctly. It was quite a frustrating affair. I might be able to help with that. No idea on the neutral safety switch.

1968 Impala SS
496 Stroker
T56 Conversion
3.73 Posi-Trac
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I would troubleshoot the Sniper EFI before I would mess with the neutral safety switch since it was the EFI that left you coasting.
I am constantly amazed at the number of people who throw away Benz's greatest invention (something that was perfected 133 years ago) in favor of something the industry went to only because it wanted to pass a single three minute long federally mandated test. It does everything you want it to do for a quarter of the price and doesn't cause any of the issues I read about all the time on the boards I frequent.

Big Dave

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

68WASAGOODYEAR,
Thanks for the offer on the F.I. diag. I spoke with Holley help line after the "stall" incidence and made some adjustments and it seems to run better but due to the weather I only was able to drive on the side streets and will get it out when the weather improves.
I guess, I gave too much information with the "why I had the problem" part. The bottom line is I pulled out in traffic and the engine stalled. It left me across all lanes of traffic and I had to come to a complete stop and put the car in park to restart it. The problem is the car will not crank unless it is in park.

Big Dave,
About carb vs F.I. - Yea, I get it If the carb works why move on! Well, in my case it was about modernizing and having fun. I like to restore and engineer things and see them work. If in the future the carburetor is wanted it is relatively simple to reinstall.
I'm a retired guy with a hobby.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 08:23 PM

Big Dave....lots of stuff was perfected 133 years ago and better stuff has come along. Fuel injection iver a carb is one of them. Better performance. Better fuel economy. Easier starting in inclimate conditions. No nasty fuel smell. Try it, you might like it. 👍🏻
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

I guess no one has anything to say on the Neutral safety Switch?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 03:10 AM

I have a 1966 Impala 390/427, 400 Turbo, with a Holley Sniper that has the original neutral safety switch. It will start in park or neutral. If your car engine doesn't turn over in neutral that sounds like it is the neutral safety switch that is your problem, the Sniper would not having anything to do with that. Classic Industries stuff should work just like an original & they are good to work with. I love the way my Sniper works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cranking, safety, switch, trans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page