Neutral Safety Switch 4spd conversion - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

1Likes
  • 1 Post By japete92

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Neutral Safety Switch 4spd conversion

Greetings, I have a 1967 Bel Air and Iím changing a powerglide to a muncie and am trying to figure out if there is a neutral safety switch on a 4spd, bench seat car. My Chevelle experience had it on the clutch pedal. I canít find any reference to it on the Bel Air manual trans. I do see where there is a trans mounted backup light switch, but nothing to prevent starting the car in gear. Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 03:53 PM

Like you said. back up light was on the Muncie shifter handle (Hurst sells a micro switch and a bracket for your Competition Plus shifter). If you hit the switch with the car in gear it would jump forward, no factory neutral safety switch on a manual that I can remember. I do remember using this "feature" to move customer cars out from blocking my garage doorways when they couldn't start a number of times.

You could use a brake light switch and bracket to fabricate a neutral safety switch for your clutch pedal if you wanted one. I never owned a Chevelle; but I had over fifty Camaros and Novas that didn't have one either; I just remembered to push in the clutch before starting.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 05:11 PM

I'm with Dave. I drove many manuals (mostly full size Chevys and GTO's) in the 60's and I never came across any kind of safety switch in the starting circuit. If there was such a switch on the clutch, you couldn't 'push start' the car. You wouldn't have spark when you let the clutch out to have the tranny/clutch turn the engine over.

Pete

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I figured as much. I think the Chevelle clutch ones started in 1969. My Chevelles were all 70-72, and they all had them.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Wires

So if manual trans cars didnít have a neutral safety switch, was the dash harness different? The two beefy purple/white wires that plugged into the the switch didnít exist? As an alternative to a jumper wire, can I just eliminate the connector and solder the two together, for a more positive connection? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C16D02FB-60BE-45EA-8E29-4BB674052672.jpg (35.1 KB, 11 views)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Sedan View Post
So if manual trans cars didnít have a neutral safety switch, was the dash harness different? The two beefy purple/white wires that plugged into the the switch didnít exist? As an alternative to a jumper wire, can I just eliminate the connector and solder the two together, for a more positive connection? Thanks
I do KNOW the answer to your question. I don't do automatics in vintage cars. But, if the ignition circuit requires to be 'run' thru the auto trans to be 'closed' (the circuit is 'closed' in Park or Neutral ONLY, 'open' in any other position), then it seems to me that the ignition circuits for the auto and the manual HAVE to be somewhat different. Perhaps the harnesses too.

A 'fix' that 'closes' the circuit w/o an 'opening' via the transmission should 'work'. I've never done it.

This is simply what makes sense to me. I may be full of donkey doo

Pete
67 Sedan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page